System Boiler or Megaflow??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving to a new house and need a new central heating system and boiler fitted there before I move. I have spoken to a couple of people and had 2 quotes so far. One plumber has quoted me for a Worcester 24 I system Boiler with a new cold water tank in the loft and a new cylinder fitted downstairs near the boiler (we are having a boiler room near the garage). Another has quoted me for a Megaflow system( 210 litre unvented pressurised hot water cylinder with a Vailant 624 system boiler).

There is a difference in price of around £4500.

My questions are the following:

1. Which system would be most suitable for me? Not BEST but most suitable. The property is a 4 bed detached house with a 1 bathroom and a shower room downstairs. We will have 4 adults and a child living there and the shower upstairs and downstairs will be used together regularly so I dont want a loss of water pressure.

2. The guy who quoted for the system boiler says he can put the hot water cylinder near the boiler in the boiler room downstairs (near garage). Can a hot water cylinder be fitted downstairs? I want the original one removed upstairs so the space can be used.

3. Someone also told me a Megaflow only works best if the water pressure coming to the property is good. Ours is not brilliant.

4. Is a megaflow worth the difference in price if water pressure is not good in the area or would a system boiler be ok for our needs.

Any Help would be appreciated. Many Thanks. I am very confused by it all.

Sponsored Links
For a Megaflow to work properly you need a 22mm Water main (most existing houses have a 15mm supply, the pressure needs to be at least 2.5 Bar, with a flow rate of around 20L/min. it sounds like you would be better sticking to a Vented system with a Cold Water Storage Tank ;)

Hi - Thanks for the reply. We do have a 15mm supply but the guy who has quoted me for the Megaflow has said he can change it to a 22mm supply for an additional £700+vat. This would involve changing the supply from the road to the property. Would this make a difference if the pressure is not great. I am not sure what the pressure figures are but another plumber who lives on the same street tells me it is not great - adequate but not brilliant.

new water main 22mm inc vat in my area is £599.

so get a few quotes first, also why not fit a combi? ie a worcester highflow 440 greenstar HE? I just fitted one for £3000k inc vat magna clean & powerflush also. :D

Sponsored Links
Hi - Thanks. I will get some more quotes. Would a combi be powerful enough to give the required pressure for 2 showers in one go? We have one at the moment and lose pressure if someone turns on a tap in the kitchen. It is a bigger house we are moving to. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back