Megaflow - Why so expensive to install.

Tony will underquote anyone, as long as they're outside his area!

Er, problem:
If your mains is that high pressure you really need to take the shower cold supply from the outlet side of the pressure reducing valve on the unvented inlet, so H and C pressures are the same.
This probably means a new pipe into the house from the garage, probably a nightmare. A reasonable workaround would be a pressure reducing valve at the shower, or a pressure equallising valve if you get a good one. Cheapies restrict the flow rather a lot.

Where's the discharge pipe going to go, by the way?

Sponsored Links
Agile wrote

Its essential to assess it before fitting an unvented!

Dynamic pressure under flow conditions you mean. ?
Irrelevant in my view. If you have a good static pressure and volumes of lpm at the incoming mains to the property then you won't go far wrong.

I would have thought about £600 + vat if easy installation going up to 900 possibly if awkward, plus materials. Tony always quotes prices that are less than anyone else as ChrisR says.

Now the poor sods who actually seen the job are going to get their balls broken 'cos everyone seems bent on quoting their pirces.

While I agree *£1600 is a little high, there are so many variables that I don't think it is fair to be giving these low figures.

Alter and adapt all pipework to suit, run new as required.

Thats the unknown bit isn't it...?

*Sorry typo - I put £2600 instead :(.

Sponsored Links
I cant see how any unvented installation only could take more than 3 days :eek:

Balenza said:
Irrelevant in my view. If you have a good static pressure and volumes of lpm at the incoming mains to the property then you won't go far wrong.

Oh dear, someone else who doesn't understand the significance of dynamic pressure. I've just been looking at a house where the static pressure is good at 5 bar but with 20 litres/min flowing the dynamic pressure drops below 1 bar! That's a clear indication of a restrictive supply pipe which will not support an unvented cylinder installation.

chrishutt said:
Balenza said:

Oh dear, someone else who doesn't understand the significance of dynamic pressure. I've just been looking at a house where the static pressure is good at 5 bar but with 20 litres/min flowing the dynamic pressure drops below 1 bar! That's a clear indication of a restrictive supply pipe which will not support an unvented cylinder installation.

Tripe. If the flowrate's delivering 20L/min its more than sufficient for a UV installation.

Ok , so mebbe its not the best flowrate in the world. But the fact remains that if you have the pressure/flowrate to begin with then dynamic pressure is irrelevant.

Dan Robinson wrote

You obvisouly have customers with low expectations!

Most of then have systems similar to the OP's. ie 6-8 bar.
Im installing a UV shortly in a large 5 bedroom property with 4 mira excel biv,s and neither static, dynamic or any kind of flowrate is measured yet. :(
And before you ask, no im not certified to fit UV cylinders. :(

Chrishutt wrote

dynamic pressure drops below 1 bar!

Where did you measure the dynamic pressure and what distance roughly from this point to the outlet in question ?.
I shall assume 15mm convoluted pipework as your flow restriction. :(

Balenza said:
Where did you measure the dynamic pressure and what distance roughly from this point to the outlet in question ?.

You first said it didn't matter, now you seem to think it does. Well the pressure test point was 8 metres upstream of the outlets as it happened. Now let's see you draw false conclusions from that. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back