Megane 1.6e 1996 - Loss of power, loosing Revs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody,

First post on here and hoping you guys will be able to help me out!

I bought a 1.6e Megane recently and noticed that occsionally when driving along the revs would drop a little (500-1K) but instantly pick up again just causing the car to judder.

Then this morning i was driving along and suddenly had no power (drive), pressing the acc and there was no power - like the engine had been starved, though it was still ticking over. Pulled over turned engine off and on again and seemed to be fine for a bit and then happened again.

Eventually got to work where I noticed the petrol was low (not on red) so at lunch filled up half a tank and it seemed to behave alot better. Though on the way home the engine did cut out. After this i noticed that the revs at idle were dropping to 500 ready to conk out but would pick up again to 700.

Any feedback, ideas would be much appericated!?! fuel pump? filter? coils?! i really dont know where to start. if you need any more info ask away!

James

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a fuel starvation problem. Has the fuel filter been changed ? Is it past the service interval when it should've been changed ? If it's not then change it, it'll probably look filthy and/or rusty if it's not.

Possible dirty injectors too if the filter's not been changed and has allowed some crud through when you ran it really low. Stick some injector cleaner in your tank (which will do no harm anyway) and see if that improves it.

Sponsored Links
Back