Membrane between roof and gutter......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am replacing the membrane that fits between the roof and the gutter, u know the littlte strip. Anyway on the back some the upvc facia is mouldy, now the guys who did the facias lapped the membrane under the upvc facias and hung it in the gutter? Is this correct, i would thought this membrane goes between the tiles and wood supporting the tiles? which is correct? do i lift the tiles a little n just slide it under?

ps. what does this do like??

cheers xx

Sponsored Links
It needs to go under the felt.The pvc fitters often use dpc(but more often thatn not neglect to ensure its under the existing felt),im guessing thats what you mean.Remove the bottom course of tiles of push up if possible,Tuck it under felt,nail to secure(nail through existing felt and through membrane in one.Refix tiles.ps.What does it do like??= it usually put in when the bottom of the sarkin has rotted away.Presonaly i dont use the dpc strip but a 500mm felt strip.

It needs to go under the felt.The pvc fitters often use dpc(but more often thatn not neglect to ensure its under the existing felt),im guessing thats what you mean.Remove the bottom course of tiles of push up if possible,Tuck it under felt,nail to secure(nail through existing felt and through membrane in one.Refix tiles.ps.What does it do like??= it usually put in when the bottom of the sarkin has rotted away.Presonaly i dont use the dpc strip but a 500mm felt strip.

so thats under the felt, not between the felt and the tiles? are these tiles easy take out, just lift the 2nd one up n slide them out?

cheers 4 ur time

so thats under the felt, not between the felt and the tiles? are these tiles easy take out, just lift the 2nd one up n slide them out?

cheers 4 ur time
It goes under the flet,not betwen the felt and the tiles.As for being easy to take out?I think so but im doing it on a daily basis.If all your tiles are nailed it may be hard for you as you may need a slate ripper.Just try and see if the bottom course will push under the 2nd course.If not try removing the nails and then slide them up.(You can remove nails from tiles without a ripper but not so slates) ;)

Sponsored Links

cheers 4 ur time
It goes under the flet,not betwen the felt and the tiles.As for being easy to take out?I think so but im doing it on a daily basis.If all your tiles are nailed it may be hard for you as you may need a slate ripper.Just try and see if the bottom course will push under the 2nd course.If not try removing the nails and then slide them up.(You can remove nails from tiles without a ripper but not so slates) ;)

thanks again, we have roof tiles so they pretty easy no nails etc.... wicked

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back