Merging two flats back into one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We're currently in the process of purchasing the flat below our own flat and will then merge these flats into one normal house (it's an edwardian end of terrace that was split in two at some point in the 1980s so we are putting it back how it used to be)

I was hoping for some pointers about how best to go about merging the utilities back together as im a bit confused about how to plan this out

When we buy the flat below the situation will be as follows…

- Water & Heating;
Currently each flat has a combi boiler (no cylinders/tanks in either flat) Im not sure whether one boiler would be enough for the whole house, or whether I should keep both and link them?! or whether i'll need to get rid of both and do something new? bit stuck here :)

Additionally, our boiler has caused us quite a few probs, (seems to need repairing on an annual basis) so im not sure I can rely on that one much longer. I wonder if the combi boiler below could serve the whole house?

I spoke to the water company about merging the water supplies and they said once we've merged them we should request a 'blank off' for the one we stop using so that sounds easy enough… and most likely they will want us to go on a meter going forwards, that's ok I suppose

- Electricity;
Currently there are separate meters and fuse boxes for each flat. I've spoken to the electricity company who said they would remove the meter that we don't need once we've merged the flats back together. Im not sure what we would do about the fuse boxes though? Should I/Can I simply keep both?

- Gas;
Our boiler uses gas. Have no idea what the score is with the gas. Currently both flats have a separate supply, at least we have separate bills, im guessing this should be the easiest to link back together? by connecting together and having a meter removed presumably?

Any help or thoughts on this would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back