Changing back to a house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Going to go and see a Victorian house on Saturday which was converted into 5 flats back in 1988. If I was to buy, I would want to return it to a single dwelling.

My question; is this Something councils (Birmingham) are in favour of, considering the loss of revenue from £5500pa to £2400pa. I would of course not want it if I had to pay £5500 for council tax.

Also I'm guessing it has separate gas and electric meters, consumer units. How hard & expensive are these to merge?

Anyone also have experience of getting a residential mortgage on a property with flats that will be converted back into single house

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The law in this regard is a mess. Presently, the only way to know whether the local authority considers the loss of residential units to be material is to ask them. A lawful development certificate would (I think) confirm the issue.

The law in this regard is a mess. Presently, the only way to know whether the local authority considers the loss of residential units to be material is to ask them. A lawful development certificate would (I think) confirm the issue.

Thanks for that. I actually dropped the council an email last night, so will see what they say.

Any ideas about meters?

Thanks

I think you need to find out what the actual situation is currently in that regard too.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

My question; is this Something councils (Birmingham) are in favour of, considering the loss of revenue from £5500pa to £2400pa. I would of course not want it if I had to pay £5500 for council tax.

Thanks in advance

In planning terms, generally, it should be okay. The planning system isn't really interested in loss of revenue. 5 Flats -> 1 dwelling should be fine; you've got less demand on the area, less trips, less parking needed, still a residential use etc etc.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

In planning terms, generally, it should be okay. The planning system isn't really interested in loss of revenue. 5 Flats -> 1 dwelling should be fine; you've got less demand on the area, less trips, less parking needed, still a residential use etc etc.

That’s good to know Luke.

Think my main issue with be financing if I do like it. Not sure how lenders offering a residential mortgage will feel about a house split in 5

Just looked at the epc's for each flat and looks like hot water and heating is all on electric. Maybe gas wasn't split, will report back tomorrow

Right went yesterday but only had access to 1 of the 5 flats due to them currently being let and awaiting access. All electric was split in the inner porch, with 5 electric meters. Most likely would need full rewire & plumbing.

With regards to conversion, my understanding of it is that it is entirely dependant on the local plan for the area. To give an example, it might be fine in Margate say, where there was an oversupply of conversions, but in some other area it might not be fine atall as it would reduce the stock of housing. It all depends on the circumstances and context of the area. Have you checked the planning history and read the local plan???

As far as lending goes if there are tenants in place would you be getting vacant possession or buying a building with tenants in? Also if you gut all the bathrooms and kitchens it might not be mortgageable until an amount of renovation work was done. My guess is you might be looking at stage payments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back