Terrace House Converted Into 2 Flats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a residential landlord thinking of buying this property with the intention of converting back into a house as cheaply as possible.

It currently has two near identical flats each with a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and lounge, each with it's own front door.

Can I simply knock through a studded wall next to the stairs to convert back into a house and leave all the rooms as found or are there rules as to how many kitchens a house can have?

The flats each have their own door number, services, and council tax account although they are still on the same deed. Can a house have two electricity, gas, and water meters on one account or will I need to convert back to one?

Sponsored Links
You will need planning permission to change two dwellings into one. As this will reduce the housing stock in the area (by 1!!) you may have to show there is a shortage of houses and ample flats.

Once you have PP then door numbering and council tax will be sorted by the council. This will cascade to Royal Mail and organisations who use their address database eg TV licencing who would otherwise chase you for 2 licences.

Two separate utility supplies may cost more as it is usually cheaper the more you use on one account. In the case of electricity the supplies may be on different phases which could mean your stair lightswitch has 415V between adjacent conductors.

Getting the second elec supply disconnected and then run a switchfused submain to the second consumer unit on teh first supply should not be too difficult.

NO! I’ve had near identical jobs come across my desk in the past and they’re fraught with Building Regulation traps, and the owner is never prepared for the work involved.

Firstly, under Regulation 5(g) of the Building Regulations, this would be defined as a material change of use:

‘the building, which contains at least one dwelling, contains a greater or lesser number of dwellings than it did previously’

Now that that’s been established the relevant Parts of the Building Regulations that relate to a material change of use are given by Regulation 6:

B1 means of warning and escape
B2 internal fire spread
B3 internal fire spread
B4(2) external fire spread
B5 access and facilities for the fire service
C2(c) interstitial and surface condensation
E1 to E3 resistance to the passage of sound
F1 ventilation
G1 sanitary conveniences and washing facilities
G2 bathrooms
H1 foul water drainage
H6 solid waste storage
J1 to J3 combustion appliances
L1 conservation of fuel and power
P1 electrical safety

These elements effectively have to be shown to be compliant as if it were a new building- there is no such thing as ‘it’s always been like that’ as far as a material change of use goes. Some of these are pretty straightforward but some may add significant work and cost. For example L1 requires you to comply with energy efficiency standards. If the current building fabric doesn’t meet the minimum standards (as given by Approved Document L1A), the insulation will have to be beefed up accordingly.

Similarly, Part E1 to E3 will necessitate a sound test between both party walls as it's a terraced property. If the sound test fails you will have to undertake remedial measure.

Consult a competent architect or surveyor before you proceed and make sure to mention a material change of use to them.

Thanks for your replies and advice.

I'm looking at the property in a few days with the owner so I will make sure the conversion to flats has been done correctly with the right permissions before getting a surveyor or architect involved.

Sponsored Links
I've done a planning search and found that the property was converted from a shop and flat into two flats in 1998. Would that mean that both flats would have to have passed the regulations or just the one converted from the shop and how much stricter are the regulations now?

Frankly, in respect of Building Regulations I am not too sure what abuildingsite is that concerned about, maybe he thinks you wish to convert into two flats instead of converting back into one dwelling? Converting from a single dwelling into two flats is a lot more onerous than the other way round, as you are doing. You could likely get an inspector from the Local Authority Building Control to pop out and discuss it with you, most are even quite happy to give you a good chat about it on the phone too if access is a problem.

Re Planning you need to talk with your local Planning Department, consider doing a 'Pre-Application' before you purchase unless timelines are against you! In which case you will have to buy at risk and will need to ask yourself if it could not be converted and had to stay as two flats it was still a worthwhile investment. If you are savvy with drawing up plans etc etc then do it yourself otherwise it is time to employ someone to do the Pre-App for you.

The meters have been covered already in the thread so no need for further comment there believe. Do you intend renting it out or living there yourself, if renting out then why the questions? Most people are not gonna want to live in a house with two gas meters etc or two kitchens etc?

Frankly, in respect of Building Regulations I am not too sure what abuildingsite is that concerned about, maybe he thinks you wish to convert into two flats instead of converting back into one dwelling? Converting from a single dwelling into two flats is a lot more onerous than the other way round, as you are doing.

No it's not. As far as the Regs go, the applicable standards are exactly the same. See Regulation 5(g) quoted above, which would apply in both scenarios.

As I said, most people aren't aware of this and the cost and work implications involved.

Anyone can just list the Building Regs, if the LA went completely by the book there may be some seemingly anal items requiring attention however my experience of these kind of projects is that generally the LA BC will expect a general stab at it rather than every single possible item attended too. It is not necessarily quite as scary as you make out afterall the regs are, to a certain extent, negotiable.

Anyone can just list the Building Regs, if the LA went completely by the book there may be some seemingly anal items requiring attention however my experience of these kind of projects is that generally the LA BC will expect a general stab at it rather than every single possible item attended too. It is not necessarily quite as scary as you make out afterall the regs are, to a certain extent, negotiable.

That wasn't just a list of Regs, that was a lists of Regs applicable to a material change of use.

In my experience, less and less is left to discretion and a 'stab at it' doesn't do the job. Part E, for example, specifically necessitates that the building passes sound tests (with allowances for historical buildings) where a material change of use is involved. Part L1A gives minimum standards of thermal transmittance for external elements under a material change of us, requiring additional insulation where necessary. Nothing anal about it, the requirements are explicitly set out and basic to this type of building work.

Ultimately, it's Rudolf's LA that will decide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back