Metal Clad sockets in a garage?

M

mevtickin3

Hey all,

For electrics in a garage, should the power sockets/FCU's be metal clad, or are the plastic one's ok to use?

We've moved into a house that has a combination of both in the garage.

Also, is white sleeved cable ok to be used for mains wiring, it's 2.5mm twin and earth, but just never seen white before, normally grey.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
For electrics in a garage, should the power sockets/FCU's be metal clad, or are the plastic one's ok to use?
There are no specific regs on this just the catchall that accessories should be suitable for thier environmnet.

You should consider how the garage is used and where the sockets are located and then decide if the extra protection of metalclad is warranted.

white sheathed cable is often sold in DIY outlets. i don't know if it's a deliberate way to identify DIY work. It also probably looks better in some surface clipped work.

I was of the understanding that white sheath was low smoke cable.
Personally I would prefer cable to smoke so that it sets the smoke alarms off :)

Sponsored Links
IIRC with the new core colors a new convention was adopted that grey sheath meant PVC and white sheath meant LSF, i'm not sure if all manufacturers follow this convention though.

White sheethed cable is now LSF and grey is normal PVC, but it used to be that the colour had no bearing on whether it was lsf or PVC, the changeover happened at the same time the fixed wiring colours were harmonised. (so if you see white T+E, you need to see the inner core colours before you can say its LSF!)

Anyway, a lot of white pvc T+cpc was sold through the sheds (wickes in particular I seem to remember) but if you walk through there today, you'll see its all grey.

In addition I beleive a lot of the white stuff ended up down london way and there are a lot of houses in just white that end of the country because thats what the wholesalers used to supply

When the colour change came in, the sheath colours have been adopted to mark LSZH sheath, and standard sheath. Grey=Choke, White=Yum.

Previously, with RED and BLACK, the sheath colour meant zilch. Here in devon, all our wholesalers sold white, and this was our norm. When R+B came out, we had to adjust to yukky grey!

We have always used grey oop north. We have just had to adjust to yukky brown, black, grey :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back