Garage Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have to use metal clad sockets/switches in in garage or is it ok to use household white surface mounted boxes and sockets/swithes with cables in Pvc trucking.

Sponsored Links
Due to potential dmage risk in garage i always use metalclad with cables run in 20mm conduit. Looks nice too!

garage is dry and sockets in position where they're unlikely to get damaged - is it against regs to use normal white boxes and encase the cables in Pvc trunking or, according to the varous regs, do you HAVE to use metal clad

Sponsored Links
scottie said:
garage is dry and sockets in position where they're unlikely to get damaged - is it against regs to use normal white boxes and encase the cables in Pvc trunking or, according to the varous regs, do you HAVE to use metal clad

No, you don't have to use metalclad.
There's nothing wrong with a good quality white socket mounted onto a PVC backbox which contains a 20mm knockout. From this you can run cables into the roof space using 20mm PVC conduit which you'll find available in most large DIY stores.

but then he will have to buy them horrible bends, using a spring is too easy

breezer said:
but then he will have to buy them horrible bends, using a spring is too easy

Depends if he's only using drops with cables run though open joists.

One of our apprentices didn't approve of me using a rag, my knee and a spring to make a perfect 90 degree bend with PVC conduit. He said that college had been teaching them to use a conduit vice with pipe bender :eek:

but in a garage, it's useful to have plenty of sockets spread along the walls at worktop height, so (like a kitchen) it's convenient to take the run horizontally between them, all round the walls. Mini trunking is handy here, but unless you use special square-to-round connectors doesn't look neat where it meets the back boxes.

health and saftey i guess :cry:

mates son was telling me (he has just turned 16) at school (he went to the same one His father and i did, and its almost the same) that in the "metal work class" they have pillar drills lathes etc (probably the ones that were there when his father and I were) and they are not allowed to use them because of health and saftey (or even a battery operated drill)

soon as he left school he now works with battery operated drills (as a tool) his employer coulndn't believe the poor kid had no idea how to use one

JohnD said:
but in a garage, it's useful to have plenty of sockets spread along the walls at worktop height, so (like a kitchen) it's convenient to take the run horizontally between them, all round the walls. Mini trunking is handy here, but unless you use special square-to-round connectors doesn't look neat where it meets the back boxes.

I've got five twin sockets in my garage, all have been run to the ceiling in 20mm PVC conduit. At no stage did I find this inconvenient.
His needs may be different, he may want two twin sockets, he may want ten twin sockets.
I think more information may be needed to make a proper assessment of how we would do it.

I would use metal clad sockets on metal surface-mount back boxes and run the cables in heavy duty PVC conduit. I do the same for light switches. Here's a useful tip. PVC has a high coefficient of thermal expansion so don't push all your ends hard up against the stops in the junctions. Leave a little expansion space.

GaryMo said:
JohnD said:

I've got five twin sockets in my garage, all have been run to the ceiling in 20mm PVC conduit. At no stage did I find this inconvenient.
His needs may be different, he may want two twin sockets, he may want ten twin sockets.
I think more information may be needed to make a proper assessment of how we would do it.

5 twin sockets and 2 light switches. garage is 10 meters by 5 metres so putting in ring using 2.5mm - have a pitch roof so plan to run cables in roof joists above walls and drop cables through 25mmx16mm pvc to white sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back