1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Clad Sockets

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by bennyboy1985, 10 Mar 2017.

1. bennyboy1985

bennyboy1985

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

Just a quick question... i have surface mount metal clad sockets in my garage. My question is...
    Is there anywhere you can buy just the metal clad sockets? not the socket and back box combo.

The following is a link to what i have already installed...
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-13a-2-gang-dp-switched-plug-socket-metal-clad/49437

I want to change a couple of socket fronts to the type with USB connectors on...
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/13a-2-gan...lad-switched-socket-2-1a-2g-usb-charger/8009j

Any help is welcomed :D

2. Sponsored Links
  3. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    I can sell you the socket fronts for £25 each plus P&P.

This covers my cost of buying the assemblies and removing the boxes.

When you later discover that you need the boxes because, being a different make, the old ones do not quite fit, I can sell them to you at £10 each plus P&P.

• Like Like x 3
  4. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There isn't and even if you could it would be pointless - they are designed as a single unit.
    Metal clad sockets from one manufacturer may not be interchangeable with others.
    The two you have linked to are totally different design, one will not properly fit onto a box from the other.

5. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    oi!

I've got a living to make!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. andy11

andy11

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ones from different makes never fit each other!

Don't be a cheapskate, buy the socket and back box combo, they are easy enough to fit.

7. bennyboy1985

bennyboy1985

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    All the sockets installed In my garage are MK ones, so nothing about being cheapskate. I just wanted to know if I could install a different socket front of the same size from the same manufacturer. Seeing as I don't need to replace the back box I just wanted to know if I could replace the front on its own.

Admin might as well close this thread.

8. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can.

You can.

They could.

Plan B is that if you wanted to install a different socket front of the same size from the same manufacturer you could ask about installing a different socket front of the same size from the same manufacturer (MK) and not one from a different manufacturer, as then you wouldn't get people telling you that you can't ;)

9. Sponsored Links
  10. 333rocky333

333rocky333

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Last edited: 10 Mar 2017
  11. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So your suggestion to a man who has MK metalclad sockets and back boxes is that he buys new sockets which don't come with boxes and bin the boxes he has?

What does he then do with the sockets for which he no longer has boxes, as he has binned them?

12. 333rocky333

333rocky333

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Most of the mk metalclad range come with a box so maybe i wrongly assumed the usb ones also do.

Then again, if they do come with a box, rather than waste the new boxes he can pair them up with his removed frontplates for stock.

13. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Lectrician

Lectrician

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The great thing with the MK metal clad is that you can bin the back box and fit the front to a flushed back box. Other makes you cannot. That said, when I do larger projects with loads of flushed metal clad fronts (pubs, clubs etc - bullet proof), the price for MK metal clad fronts less the back box is more than getting them off the shelf with a back box. Wholesaler pricing, not SF. I end up with loads of boxes at the end of the job, and they are pretty worthless. Skipable.

15. phatboy

phatboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    For the cost of those, I would just plug in a USB charger TBH. I love things to be done the right way, but I would draw the line at a £30+ socket

16. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local