Metal Clad Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, do sockets and light switches installed in a garage have to be the metal clad type? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its the old 'is it suitable for the external influences to which it is likely to be exposed to' chesnut

For those on barratt estates with a small garage in which they keep a car, then possibly the socket and switch located on the back wall don't need to be metalclad.

If you are like me though, you have a bigger garage, but cant actually get the car in because of the junk and tools and have workbenches round the back and sockets are more likely to be bashed with bits of metal etc!

metalclad is not compulsory, but i personally recommend it. it will take all those knock that will break a plastic one. the most damage i have seen on a metalclad is a small chip above earth. Pick up a few MK Metalclads for a few quid and you can be sure it will work

i think metalclad sockets and some lengths of 20mm conduit look rather professional in a garage.

Per the above, it keeps the knocks away from the spckets and the wiring!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back