Metal Garden Gate & Post - correct screws to use

Sponsored Links
I think I would tap the existing holes in the post to a suitable size (M6 or M8) and then use machine screws to fix the gate.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I think I would tap the existing holes in the post to a suitable size (M6 or M8) and then use machine screws to fix the gate.

You can't tap it as the metal is too thin to make a thread, but as it is the top hinge, it's easily reachable from the top and the plastic top pops out.
I would drill it out to 6mm and put a bolt through with a nut on the inside. If a spanner is needed to hold the inside nut, better to put a length of string on it just incase it is dropped inside the post.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back