Metal light face plate earthing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon. I'm fitting new metal faceplates to light switches, they have an earth socket on the back, do I remove the earth wire from the housing and attach it to the faceplate or run another wire from the housing to the faceplate and leave the wire where it is.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Good afternoon. I'm fitting new metal faceplates to light switches, they have an earth socket on the back, do I remove the earth wire from the housing and attach it to the faceplate or run another wire from the housing to the faceplate and leave the wire where it is.
Ideally the incoming earth wire would go to the switch (with green/yellow sleeving on it), and then a new bit of wire (again, sleeved) from there to the back box. However, if the existing wire is not long enough to reach the switch, then you can do as you suggest and run a new wire from the earth in the back box to the switch.

Kind Regards, John

Best practice is to run a separate Earths from the new accessories to the back boxes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back