Metal sensor/wire poking out of wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My first post, so nice to meet you all!

Decorating our upstairs landing and this is sticking out of the wall...
IMG20221113132306.jpg

What is it? Is it an old temperature sensor? If we dont need it anymore can I just snip it off and fill the hole?

Cheers
Matt

Sponsored Links
is it high up? Looks like the end of a catenery wire to me.
will it pull out? could just be shoved in a hole.

is it high up? Looks like the end of a catenery wire to me.
will it pull out? could just be shoved in a hole.
Hi,

Its 4 feet of the ground. Its attached to a long metal wire that disappears into the floor behind the wall.

What's a catenery wire?

4 foot off the ground does not sound right for what I was thinking then.
A catenery wire is used to suspend stuff, usually low voltage lighting, often from ikea :)

It would not be put so low so I doubt it's that.
Is there a screw head on the other side of the metal bit (the side we cannot see from the photo) ? whats in the hole in the end of the metal bit?
what happens if you pull it?

Sponsored Links
4 foot off the ground does not sound right for what I was thinking then.
A catenery wire is used to suspend stuff, usually low voltage lighting, often from ikea :)

It would not be put so low so I doubt it's that.
Is there a screw head on the other side of the metal bit (the side we cannot see from the photo) ? whats in the hole in the end of the metal bit?
what happens if you pull it?
On the inside of the wall looks like this
IMG20221114081841.jpg

It has a plastic mount to hold it on the wall
IMG20221114081921.jpg

Last edited:
Look at the valves on the radiators in the room. If there is a thin pipe going into one of the valves ( as well as the water pipe ) then as robin grinch suggests the mystery object is a remote sensor for the control of water flow through the radiator.

Good call. I have never seen those before, but what is the point of them? By that I mean, why have a TRV that monitors the room below?
I can't comment on the OP's situation, but we have something similar in my workplace.
Our radiators have a frame built in front of them, boarded up and supporting a large trunking system with power and coms cables (...and a grill above the radiator to allow convection).
In this situation, the temperature of the TRV behind the boarding wouldn't be an accurate representation of the room temperature, so the external sensors are placed in a more appropriate position.

Me too - never seen one of those but it does look like one.

Time to investigate the other side of the wall..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back