Meter->Service Pipe->1/2" Stop Tap - Replace Now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This is something I should have researched ages ago, and now we are in the position of being able to replace our service pipe (new driveway) I thought i'd ask a few questions here.

In the picture - the currrent mains water set-up->20mm MDPE Service pipe (not 25mm...) into a 1/2" stop tap, which feeds 15mm copper for the mains cold and an "up"converter 15mm->22mm Worcester Bosch Combi feed.

The hot water flow rate has always been ok - but not amazing, but now we have a growing family it will start to take more demand.

I suppose the answers to my questions might help decide whether I upgrade the service pipe to 32mm since the drive is being dug up anyway or will i get some benefit from changes at the stop tap pictured.

Q1: Is there any point in replacing this 1/2" stop tap for 22mm version now, instead of a new 32mm service pipe?

Q2: Does the current tap look like the correct component, or is it just a "brass tap" and potentially restrictive?

Q3: When the 22mm copper Combi feed was installed, it started as 15mm - should I bring this back (as 22mm) to a new 22mm stop tap to improve things?

If I do end up replacing the service pipe, I would prefer to only buy one new stop tap, but if you guys think I might get better performance for a lot less cost, i'll explore that first.

Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dan.
Is that because the combi has built in flow restiction anyway?

Would you not bother replacing the stop cock for 22mm or putting in a 32mm service pipe either?

I wouldn't increase to 32mm.

Combi boiler systems deal with high demand on domestic cold water quite well, so I dont see the benifit. If you are expecting a much greater demand on the hot water, then i suggest that changing you system from a combi to sealed system is something to consider... lol.

Sponsored Links
Depends on your incoming pressure I suppose.

Changing a stop cock is easy enough, and that one looks a bit manky.

a 32mm service would be pointless.

But the pipe is not expensive.....

Essentially, do it for future maintenance reasons as the performance is a not a factor.

Yep - the pipe is cheap!

32mm MDPE pipe (25 Metres) - £25.00

SWW connection charge for excavting ~1Metre pavement = £700!! :eek:

Not sure I'll be future proofing it! :)

Seems to be the going rate from the Water Companies. I have just been quoted anything between £750 and £1200 from Anglian Water for a new connection to the local football club clubhouse. Cost depends how far the main is from the property boundary! They cant give an exact cost until they do a survey, which is £148, refundable if you have the work done.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back