meter tails

S

scotteng

hello all

installing a new consumer box, but moving it to a new position. To get the meter tails to the new position i have to come out the meter box along the outer wall then into the house.

How would you suggest i do this?? best practice?? etc

cheers

Sponsored Links
How would you suggest i do this?? best practice?? etc

cheers

Not with meter tails. Install a switchfuse at the service head, keep the outdoor run in SWA or split-con, and then terminate at the CU. If you choose SWA, you may want to terminate into a galv adaptable box and then bush or grommet the feed into the CU if it's insulated rather than metalclad.

You could use conduit, but it might be a squeeze, and it's likely your tails will be long enough to the point where the DNO will insist you fit a switchfuse to protect your side of the install.

regs state i can go up to 3m with meter tails, although i know that thats really up to the DNO. regs state they can be installed as long as the protection is re-inforced against external influences!!! does this mean i can use conduit?? im guessing plastic would not be acceptable so metal it is.....

Sponsored Links
regs state i can go up to 3m with meter tails, although i know that thats really up to the DNO. regs state they can be installed as long as the protection is re-inforced against external influences!!! does this mean i can use conduit?? im guessing plastic would not be acceptable so metal it is.....

Personally I can't see a problem with high impact plastic conduit, as long as the entire run will be surface mount and you're not intending to bury the tails. If it's only a three metre run then this should be reasonable, although bringing it nearly into the meter cabinet might be interesting if it's flush mounted.

No doubt there will be differing opinions on this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back