Metropolitan open Land

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Guys,

I have some land that previously had 2 houses on it.
It is now considered to be Metropolitan open land. I would like to know if it is possible to the border changed ( it is on the very edge of the border) due to it previously being private dwellings.
Any advice or options that you could give would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
Flower border?

The question is not very clear regarding what you want to do.

To quote Wikipedia: "Any alterations to the boundary of MOL should be undertaken by Boroughs through the LDF process, in consultation with the Mayor and adjoining authorities."

Thanks for the replies.
Border of the MOL not flower border. Sorry for the lack of clarity.
Has anyone has any experience with this and any advice before starting what will probably a lengthy headache?

Sponsored Links
What happened to the 2 houses? Why do you want to move the border? Is that even realistic? Why not just apply for PP (assuming that it is similar to Greenbelt, tricky but not impossible)?

If it was your land to begin with, and had consent for the two houses, how come it's now considered (by the Council presumably) to be MOL?

Woodys right, your post isn't very clear at all.

The land had 2 houses on, but do we have to suppose you didn't own it at that point, and you've purchsed it afterwards.

And it would therefore have been classified as MOL after the houses were knocked down. So you now want to see if you can get the land taken out of MOL status, and the border moved back to where it would have been when the houses were on it, presumably so you can build on it again.

Try your local planning department, and see what their view on the land is.

The 2 houses were knocked down before I purchased the land.
The land was then classed as MOL.
The local authority have said that planning will not be granted except for sports facilities.
I would like to be able to build a workshop there so am looking at whether a border change is feasible to the have planning permission granted.
Again apologies for the lack of clarity but well done for deciphering what I was actually asking.

The 2 houses were knocked down before I purchased the land.
The land was then classed as MOL.

Surely you purchased the land as MOL, and not purchased it and then it was classed as MOL?

Anyway, you are very unliley to get this designation altered, unless the reclassification was itself unlawful or made in error.

Lots of people buy land hoping to one thing with it, then find that they can't.

I cannot comment on MOL land but I always thought the general principal elsewhere is that if a building is just demolished and the land is used for something else then from a planning point of view it is as if the building never existed.

So a vacant plot in the countryside that had a cottage on it 20 years ago is just treated as it's current use such as farmland etc. and getting permission to "replace" the original cottage is extremely difficult. I suspect this case may be the same, the fact that houses stood on the site some time in the past probably carries no weight.

However with the potential value of a building plot in London I think I would be inclined to seek local professional advice.

So when you purchased the property did your solicitor point out any difficulties with the land or explain what the MOL ment? Is it attached to your house gardens? What is on the deeds? Presumably the property was bought with a mortgage so does the BS know - are they happy.
From your words above I would say what you is the 'worst of all worlds' - you own it and are expected to maintain it but anyone can make use of it - effectively you own a council park...
I'm in a similar position, the site plan from the county council show my property boundary to the road side (which went to the BS and my solicitor) but the county highways say they have full rights to a strip of land 900mm from the roadside onto my ground. I'm expected to maintain that strip as grass and if I wish to make any changes I have to ask their permission - I found that out when I tried to stop people parking on my front lawn. Sadly that isn't on my deeds but is on the county highways plan.

Unfortunately the solicitor never highlighted that it was MOL and it was highlighted after purchase.
I had never heard of Metropolitan open land until council said it was highly unlikely to get planning permission because of this.
Thank you all for your input. It is certainly the case that professional advice is going to be sought and I am quietly optimistic that if no planning permission is granted I can have a change of career and keep bees.

Sue the solicitor for lack of proffesional care. But didn't it seem a bit cheap, and how did the sellers market the land.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back