Mezzanine/Floating Floor Bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Hoping to get some advice please. My daughter will be moving into a bedroom to the rear of the property. The room is quite narrow and not exactly long. So putting a single bed/high sleeper along the length of the room is going to take up way too much space.

So we’re thinking of putting together a mezzanine floor bed (floating floor bed) along the width of the room which is just over 6 ft wide. Please excuse my drawing https://drive.google.com/file/d/14wPXRzLMxFYnoOXIexZG2eBWvd6wGR1a/view?usp=sharing if not up to scratch, the green box is where I plan to build/fix the mezzanine/floor frame - hoping it makes sense and gives an idea of what we’re trying to achieve. Also sharing a link to a similar build but mine will not be to the same scale -

My daughter is currently 11yrs old. The plan is to continue using the bed as the years go by so something sturdy/strong enough to hold an adult plus a single mattress. Also, to note there is no wall to attach framework near the window area (highlighted in pink/orange). My questions/concerns are:

1) Which size timber beams should I use for the frame and internal joists? Also, which direction to fix the joists: A to B, or C to D?

2) What kind of fixings should I use for attaching the frame to the wall?

3) Do I need to add uprights in each corner for added support?

4) For the internal joists, I was thinking of using some hangers as follows. Would they suffice? https://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-multi-truss-hanger-50-x-95mm-10-pack/82567

Also factoring in build of steps/ladder which I guess will add to the support/structure. And safety rails on the front and space near the window.

Would really appreciate any advice or tips. I look forward to hearing your input :)

Sponsored Links
In your case, I would be inclined to build the base- and then screw it to the walls, adding legs as required.

Why? IMO it would be more attractive than having visible joist hangers.

The ladder would ideally be at about 75 degrees. I am not sure that you can consider it to be "load bearing".

I might be wrong though and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will swing by soon.

Fix ledger plates of 3x2 CLS to the left and right hand walls, sit 3x2 CLS joists on top across the span, about 400mm centres. Form the base of the bed with 18mm chipboard flooring screwed to the joists. Form "sides" across the front and window areas with MDF screwed to the outer joists.

The hardest part will be getting secure fixing of the ledgers into the walls - a lot depends on what they're made of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back