Micra K14 Engine oil filter cover stuck

Sorry for not answering your question.
Do you mean a 6 sided socket, if so yes. I also have tried a Metwrench type sockets. It's so tight the plastic nut can't take the force needed to unscrew the filter cover.

Sponsored Links
What's a metwrench socket? John means a 6 sided socket:

s-l500.jpg

It's so tight the plastic nut can't take the force needed to unscrew the filter cover.
Then, it'll break (it probably won't) and you'll have to buy another one for £30. That's the absolutely worst thing that can happen,
You just have to go for it and hope for the best.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar issue with an 02 plate Saxo.
The hexagon nut was knackered so I drilled two 10mm holes in the plastic top, did the same with a strip of steel (observing the pitch of the holes clearly) - added 2 10mm bolts and used it as a peg wrench. The top did shift.
However, I'm not going to recommend this one due to the slight amount of plastic swarf that could fall through......in my case the filter element caught it but there was nothing else I could do.
John :)

I can't say how much I appreciate everyone's help in suggesting solutions to remove my oil filter cover. I have now removed the cover, using a combination of ideas you have posted.
First I gave it a good bashing, then I managed to find some old imperial/AF sockets I've had for ever. Picked a one that was very tight fit and hammered on to the plastic nut, success, oil and filter changed. Torqued the cover to the correct figure 25 N/m. After feeling how low the correct torque is no way who ever fitted the cover used a torque wrench, just screwed it on as tight as he could. Since it is an "O" ring the sealing does not rely on the tightness of the cove, obviously did not have clue.
What a disgrace, Main Dealer top prices for substandard work.

Thanks again for all your help, great to know that thier are still people out there prepared spend their time helping others.

I don't think that's necessary, after fitting it with the correct torque, which I said is so low (virtually the lowest setting on my torque wrench) it won't be a problem removing it.
Just to answer Freddie M's question, a Metwrench is a spanner or socket that can be used on Metric or imperial fixings.
Thanks again

I don't think that's necessary, after fitting it with the correct torque, which I said is so low (virtually the lowest setting on my torque wrench) it won't be a problem removing it.
I wouldn't put too much money on that if I was a betting man. As they get hot and cold in use they seem to self tighten. In fairness they are often over tightened though

12 months time when you undo it next, you will probably swear it had been over tightened if you didn't know better

Sponsored Links
Back