How best to change the oil filter ??

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to give the car it’s first oil change, 1000miles.

It’s got one of those new fangled oil filters rather than the old canister type. First time I’ve tried changing one of them.

Since it’s mounted above some other engine bits and bobs I can only imagine that when I try to take the plastic cover off the oil is going to pour all over my nice new shinny engine.

Are there any tricks or tips you can give on how to tackle these type of filters for minimum mess?

Sponsored Links
You've decided not to tell us what sort of car it is :confused:

You've decided not to tell us what sort of car it is :confused:
opps sorry

Hyundai Getz CDX CRTD

But didn't think the make model would matter that much as the technique would be simmilar for all cars with that type of filter.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link. unfortunatly it seems to be an american forum (not that I've got that much against Americans :D), also seems rather dead as do most of the Hyundai forums I've found.
Expect most are too embarrassed to admit they own a Hyundai :D

when you unscrew the cover ensure paper element is inside the cover, to stop drips everywhere

simply pull the paper element out and drain the old oil out

its designed to stop DIY

wear gloves as used oil causes cancer

Thanks.

Did it yesterday with no problem. With the old canister type they were always full of oil but with these it all runs back to the sump. So is much cleaner than the old way.

With the right socket much easier than the old canister type so would have thought it was better for the DIYer :)

"new fangled filter".
I have a '68 Mini and a '72 GT6 and they both use paper cartridge inserts.

What are these things called canisters? Sound like they're a nightmare for generating recycling waste ;)

If you can do this without making a mess - try soaking the new paper element in clean engine oil first. It reduces the amount of time for the oil pressure to come back up.
Ideally pull the plugs from the head and spin it over until the oil light goes out to absolutely minimise damage to the crank and camshaft bearings.

Sponsored Links
Back