micro bore copper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone used micro bore copper to install heating on a new build or domestic house. How did you go about using it for dropping down to the ground floor rads?

Sponsored Links
I'll admit, it would be the only time i'd use plastic instead of copper if it had to be microbore, down to its flexibility. Thread down the cavity of a stud wall then use face plates on the wall to provide a neat outlet behind the rad.

Why does it need to be micro (or mini) bore? I don't like using anything less than 15mm.

Sponsored Links
Lack of system maintenance... Same reason I have dozens of power flushes to do each year!

Work out your rad valve centres and elbow(solder) or minibend out from wall at correct height and width. Secure pipework, protect as appropriate.

If you then cut the pipes 3 or4" from the unplastered wall and link them with straight pipe on soldered elbows you increase your chances of finding your tails usable when you come back to 2nd fix, after the plasterers and sundry trades have given them a good kicking, which they will no matter how nicely you ask them not to.

Can then enter rad valves neatly on the horizontal. Lockshield drainoff valves on drops of course.

10mm copper fine on a sealed system IMO, if correctly flushed on commissioning.

Have done similar to that,I have done similar to the above.have used duct tape for corrosion protection. Though one downstairs rad is on a studwall I have dropped in 15mm and reduced to 10mm on the elbow as it exits the stud wall. Have done this to give the pipes more stability. Should this be ok?

Have done similar to that,I have done similar to the above.have used duct tape for corrosion protection. Though one downstairs rad is on a studwall I have dropped in 15mm and reduced to 10mm on the elbow as it exits the stud wall. Have done this to give the pipes more stability. Should this be ok?
Were as the rest of the rads are on solid walls I have dropped 10mm so can be plaster over. This ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back