Micro-generation (Renewables, etc)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My preferred hobby would be the creation of electro micro-generation plants/units. That is, if I could find enough time in my already busy day, (i.e. trying to earn a living).

My favourite current item that I've been exploring is a vertical axis wind generator that is fixed to the side of a building, and is scaleable, in multiples of 500mm units.

The main assembly has an upper support,and a lower support, with the lower support also having the drive to the modified alternator connected.

The rotor is 500mm diameter, 5 bladed, tweaked savonious rotor with a drive train calculated to give the optimal performance.

The alternator is standard 12V except that it has internal magnets added to excite it without using an external power supply. This means it can simply be connected to an emersion heater to subsidise any water heating requirements.

Additional 500mm rotor modules (with a different drive train ratio, and only a top support) can be added, sequentially to increase output.

There are some more issues to get sorted, (e.g. safety no load braking, gusting overload, etc )

but thats where I'm going with this as I see micro-generation to be the only way joe average can get to produce their own power. Now considering the most power used in any household will be that required to provide heating (water or central), then subsidising that cost will generate the most savings.

Also you can create/buy various items to produce small amouts of electricity all connected to emersion heaters of a common tank, all contributing to the task of heating water.

Regards
Les

Sponsored Links
I think the problem would be the small amount of energy generated. Didn't Cameron have a wind mill on his house? By all accounts it was ineffectual. If it was bigger, you'd risk pulling the house down due to the loads, in which case you'd need a tower, costing lots.

The noise and vibration from house mounted wind turbines is one reason why they are often taken out of use.

I saw an odd wind generator could not really call it a turbine. It powered the lights in a bunk house but how much power it produced I don't know. The generator was a old hub "dynamo" from a bike. In spite being called a dynamo they produced AC and this was double half wave rectified into two 6 volt batteries to give total of 12 volt. The unit was rotated by a rope wound a around the spindle one end of rope connected to some buggy cords the other end taken a good way up a tree. As the wind blows the trees wave pulling and releasing the rope which spins the generator so simple yet effective.

Sponsored Links
I see micro-generation to be the only way joe average can get to produce their own power.
I know some people who have built a generator designed by Nikola Tesla. The mechanics are completed and they are now working on tuning it to produce enough output to drive its own motor with enough kilowatts left over to run a small house. As with all such developments, if it fails you are an idiot and if it succeeds and you publicise the fact, you get to meet the men in black, the generator gets smashed and all details destroyed. So I don't anticipate a big announcement.

Back