Microbore Burrying & Preventing Wallpaper Peeling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I’d like to ask some questions about burying microbore pipework and a new fire installation.

We had a new Biasi Riva Advance fitted last year with all new pipework, rads and valves. The corgi installer buried the 10mm microbore on a vertical drop as we asked, but the pipework hasn’t been buried deep enough. There is a little copper (less than the size of a little finger nail) exposed. Apart from that it appears that the pipework on the drop is barely hidden as the wall is hot to the touch (when the heating is on!) where it’s been plastered over. I’ve attached photos.

I have experience of bending and soldering 15mm. I’ve just bought a microbore bender from screwfix. I haven’t done any microbore bending as yet.

We’re about to have the living room papered and we’re concerned that the heat from the wall will cause it to peel.

1. Can I prevent the (almost certain) wallpaper peeling by burying the pipework (10mm microbore) deeper?

2. While I’m at it, I’d also like to bury the horizontal runs too. Is it normal practice to hide them behind the skirt (as I plan to do)?

3. Do I need to allow for expansion? The installer buried the vertical drop and plastered over. Not sure what/if he fixed the pipework with but I can remember that he didn’t use anything to allow for expansion as he said it’d be okay as it’s 10mm microbore

4. How deep do I need to bury the vertical drop in order to prevent the wallpaper from peeling/lifting?

I’ve searched on here about this kind of topic, and folks have suggested denso tape (for expansion AND corrosion prevention?) – but not much discussion on the wallpaper peeling issue.

5. I’ve attached a picture of our old fire (I think it’s called a Baxi Bermuda & we have a ridge tile class II flue). Are we okay to have the living room papered before having new fire fitted, or is fitting a new fire going to be destructive and best done before decorating?

Bit of a long post…but thanks for replying if you can!

Ta,
H.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Personally I would have used 10mm plastic pipe and channelled it into the wall deeper than yours is. I would also have channelled the horizontal run into the wall as well, but above the skirting, not behind it.

Personally I think there is little worse than looking a microbore pipes like that.

As fore the fire, it will depend on what type of new fire you are having. Is the fireplace opening fully cut away as in an open fire place?

If not this will need to be opened up for a new fire, thus causing much mess and damage until finished.

gas4you

Thanks a lot for replying. I was daft enough to ask the installer to hide the vertical drop, but not the horizontal run. Idiot! :oops:

I agree, the micorbore on display looks ugly. Could I ask why you'd chanel the pipes above and not behind the skirting? It seems natural to me to run it behind and then pop up over the skirting and feed the valves.

Thanks again,

H.

I wouldn't bury anything except dead bodies. It could have looked presentable in some mini trunking. You can get wooden trunking if you want it to look good.

PS don't think much of your wallpapering. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Denso tape is not suitable for protecting any type of pipe when buried in screed/concrete/plaster. It is only suitable for non-hardening damp/moist enviroments.

where posible, due to the fact that plaster should be at least a couple of inch above floor level , i put the pipes behind the skirting board.

It seems natural to me to run it behind and then pop up over the skirting and feed the valves.

Until you go through the pipes when fixing the skirting, or BT or someone fixes a box on it, or drills through and also go through the pipes.

Yes, but they usually tend to think twice before drilling a wall, expecting something to be in there, such as pipes or cables.

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. It looks like pipes behind the skirting running along the very bottom of the skirting for me. That'll leave enough room above the microbore for the skirting fixings.

I take on board points about trunking and the risk of hitting the pipework when fixing skirts or someone else coming along after the fact. On the trunkng front, I'm not keen on the aesthetics regardless of the trunking material. As for not burying the pipework behind the skirts, maybe the next bod to chisel or drill will use a pipe detector...or not! :)

I did the C&G tech cert at college last year. I'm hardly an expert, but the tutor (former plumber since the 80s) said he'd run pipework behind skirts. It seems to me reading these forums that - ultimately (and rightly or wrongly) some professionals and DIYers alike often do what they want and the experts often don't agree on these types of issues :confused: . Ah well, good to sound people out though! Thanks again all,

H

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back