Microbore query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I wonder if someone might be able to offer some advice. I have dreaded microbore in my house and currently 3 radiators downstairs are not working. We have had an old chap round today to have a look at the problem, which he said was too much for him as he recommended a power flush as he reckons that pipes are more likely sludged up. I have just spoken to someone else who has suggested changing the pump first as the radiators upstairs are baking and this is only downstairs. I wonder if anyone can offer an opinion as the powerflush will be quite costly and wonder in which order people might try to trouble shoot???

Sponsored Links
There are several checks a competent engineer would make at the property before concluding the best solution.

Power flushing is not so effective on microbore.

Tony

Hi Tony
The chap looked at the pump and he reckoned it was ok. He took one of the radiators off and the flow of water in to it was minimal, hence his conclusion on power flush. He had previously said that a power flush is not good on microbore, hence my concern

I know some engineers who are happy to powerflush micro bore systems and some who are of the opinion that you could just move the sludge into the manifold and block everything, you dont say if you have a sealed system or an open vent (small tank in the loft filling the heating system)

Sponsored Links
Ok. this is when I am now going to sound like a woman!

We have a cylinder in the airing cupboard and a bigish tank in the loft which I believe is for the cold water!

Do you have a filling loop and pressure guage on your boiler ? or tell us make and model of your boiler and that will help

sorry this boiler can be either open vented or sealed but as you havent mentioned a filling loop and pressure guage I am guessing it is open vented, I would recommend trying to get a more experienced engineer to look at your system as a powerflush might not be required or might not even sort it, there are a few things that can be done but would have to actually see the system to advise properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back