microbores chased in the wall to rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,

I have started chasing heating pipes into my walls (to make it 'pretty' - wife insisted). I just moved in to this house and noticed that all rads are on 8mm microbores.
I am very not-used to 8mm pipes and one thing that I already noticed is that my TRVs take standard 15mm not 8mm. Also 8mm sticking from a wall looks s***t to me.

Would anyone be able to comment if the following idea has any obvious drawbacks? see sketch below:

1716368003945.png

Sponsored Links
Yes - the main drawback is > it's 8mm microbore. If you're doing all of this and chasing the pipework into the wall, then increase the pipe size while you're at it.

Yes - the main drawback is > it's 8mm microbore. If you're doing all of this and chasing the pipework into the wall, then increase the pipe size while you're at it.
but then I will have to change all of them and probably up to a point where they come out from the original 22mm.

Too much floor cutting for me I'm afraid. maybe in a few years when I have more time and wife goes for holidays somewhere ;)

What is wrong with 8mm? lower flow rations? less heat to radiator?

What is wrong with 8mm? lower flow rations? less heat to radiator?
Depends on the size of the system TBH - If you have a med > large system with say >8 med sized rads (=>600x1000 K2/Type22) over uneven distances then heat up times can be extended, balancing of the system can be troublesome and if the system isn't kept squeaky clean then it can suffer from poor circulation issues and blockages.

I'm dealing with a system right now that is actually 10mm and 4 out of the12 round top rads have stopped working - system was poorly managed and became dirty and the pipework has become blocked/restricted.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the size of the system TBH - If you have a med > large system with say >8 med sized rads (=>600x1000 K2/Type22) over uneven distances then heat up times can be extended, balancing of the system can be troublesome and if the system isn't kept squeaky clean then it can suffer from poor circulation issues and blockages.

I'm dealing with a system right now that is actually 10mm and 4 out of the12 round top rads have stopped working - system was poorly managed and became dirty and the pipework has become blocked/restricted.

ok i've decided to change to 15mm all the way since i'm opening floors anyhow.
Found the manifold today and will be performing the swap on Monday. Wish me luck.

I noticed that rads are not under the window in my new house. weird. Is there any issue that I leave them where they are (often behind the door when opened, opposite the window)?
windows are farily new-ish 5 yrs or so.

I noticed that rads are not under the window in my new house. weird. Is there any issue that I leave them where they are (often behind the door when opened, opposite the window)?
windows are farily new-ish 5 yrs or so.
Not really - there's 2 schools of thought as the best place for rads

1. under the window where it heats the colder space that the glass creates
2. near the doorway where it catches draughts and cold air coming in from what's usually the hall, and minimises draughts

or both to catch both areas but that's usually rooms size dependent

Both do their own specific job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back