Microsoft Outlook

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have Microsoft Outlook which i log into to get my emails, however in the settings i choose to have a desktop icon flash up when i get a new email. This does not happen although it is highlighted in the settings.

In order to see if any new emails have come i have to close Outlook and log in again which is a pain.

How do i get to keep Outlook open and be notified of a new email with Outlook automatically refreshing to show the email.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you've not set the option to make outlook check for emails every X minutes. Otherwise it only checks for emails when

1) you start it up
2) you click the 'get mail' button (unsure of exact phrase on the button)

However, I wouldn't recommend anyone use the version of Outlook that comes free with windows (Outlook Express) as historically it's been the most bug ridden and suffered the most security vulnerabilities of popular mail applications. Give thunderbird a try.

im2.5.gif

Im not using express. Im using Microsoft Ofiice Outlook.

The screen shot above is similer but does not have the 'check every ??minutes' option.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Outlook 2007
Tools> Send/Receive> Send/Receive Settings
Define

Try that
======
edit added
Change how often to schedule send/receive when you work offline
You can configure Send/Receive groups to specify how often Microsoft Office Outlook connects to your servers when you are working offline and to obtain new mail messages, send messages in your Outbox, and check for updates to RSS Feeds, Internet Calendar subscriptions, and Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 lists. You can also choose to include or exclude a Send/Receive group when you press F9 (Send/Receive All) when you work offline.

On the Tools menu, point to Send/Receive, point to Send/Receive Settings, and then click Define Send/Receive Groups.
Keyboard shortcut To open the Send/Receive Groups dialog box, press CTRL+ALT+S.

Select the send/receive group that you want to modify.
Under Setting for group send/receive group name, under When Outlook is Offline, select the Schedule an automatic send/receive every n minutes check box.
Enter a number between 1 and 1440. The latter number schedules an automatic send/receive once daily.

Back