Microwave automatically starts heating and makes humming noise when plugged in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I was hoping for some advice. We have a microwave and recently after cleaning, as soon as the microwave was plugged in, a loud humming noise started. I was concerned it was heating so I put a cup of water in for 30 seconds and it came out hot!.

I hadn't pressed any button on the control panel to get it to start heating like you normally would.

When it makes the humming noise/heating, the light doesnt come on inside and the turntable doesnt turn. However when i open the microwave door, the humming stops and the light does come on as if it was normal.

Sorry if my explanation isnt very clear, I've uploaded a short 30 sec video of the problem here:
1700981183190.jpg
1700981183184.jpg
Screenshot_2023-11-26-06-44-08-102_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg

Pics of the microwave, model No. and control panel attached

Grateful for any advice! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Seems like some internal switching breakdown (sticking relay) or water ingress into the circuitry is activating the magnetron even though nothing else normally activated during cooking is active.

If you love it, and can find a place that still offers appliance repair, send it to be fixed (I'd deem it a fire hazard right now).
If you've had your money's worth and a new model will do everything you want at an acceptable price, replace it.

Perhaps caution against attempting a DIY repair if you're not confident and competent; some parts within a microwave can still deliver a fatal electric shock even after it's been switched off and unplugged

Sponsored Links
If you have cleaned it with a wet cloth, chances are you had it too wet and the moisture shorted out buttons on the panel. You should use a damp cloth for such jobs. Leave it to dry out, and it may resume normal operation, though a hair drier might speed things up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back