Microwave bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Sharp R230 AM microwave and the bulb no longer lights up, the microwave is still heating food, so can i replace the bulb, if so how do i go about this as i cannot see any bulb when the door is opened and i look inside

Sponsored Links
Only a trained engineer can remove the cover of a microwave so sorry carnt inform you how too for safety reasons.

I'm sure the bulb on these is behind a grille - or rather behind a grid of drilled holes....get a torch in there and see if you can see the glass behind.
The outer casing comes off after taking half a dozen screws out and the bulb is visible from the top.
I think its an SES 20w on these but if its not a screw fitting, some have integral terminals - a T fitting i think.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yes, I'm not aware of any laws that state who can and cannot work on a microwave oven.

Welllllll, the one I did was a Sharp (no idea which model though)......4 screws in the back, (ordinary philips) 2 in the lower edge and the cover slid back.
The cover had a 'joddled' edge which meant that it clips into the front panel on reassembly.
The bulb was accessible immediately, the holder held by one screw.
New bulb in, cover back on and no seals of any kind were broken.
I wasn't going to take the thing to a repair shop just for that.
John :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Ah Jesus im sitting here laughing to myself, handlebars.
Cheers John

Removing the cover expose's the capacitor which holds around 2000 volts and to those who are unaware and start poking around without discharging the capacitor first can be killed by the shock hence why I would never advise anyone to start poking around in there without training. all our engineers are certified to work on microwaves and those that are not are not allowed near one until they had the training.Also our policy is to never supply the public with any parts which req the cover to be removed .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back