Mid position valve tower val322mp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone first time on here and i would be greatful for any help as i just purchased a tower mid position valve, fitted it and fired everything back up at first i got all the rads on upstairs and downstairs and my hotwater is as it should but now only the upstairs are hot and down are cold so i thought i would check the man auto switch and its very loose and only get a bit of resistance when its nearly in manual the problem is i don't know if its in man or auto and my old tower valve resisted as soon as i started to slide it across is it a faulty unit and by the way i have bled the radiators many thanks
mel

Sponsored Links
Your valve is fine.

You have an air lock. Try turning all the working rads off to force it through. Failing that, run the heating with pump on low speed for a day or two, then turn pump to high. When lock is cleared, return pump to original speed.

hello i tried to fire my heating up and nothing happened i turned the thermostat up on the boiler nothing and my house thermostat is on 30 and still nothing so i check my new valve and the man auto lever is just loose in either direction so i opened it up and the lever isn't doing anthing and the block that pushes on the micro switch has gone past them and the system will only fire up when i press the micro switch with a screw driver i can't get the bloke back over the micro switch, help lol.
thanks
mel

Sponsored Links
Only me again update as i have left the screw driver on the micro switch the downstairs rads are hot now going to turn the upstairs on again to see what happens by the way if i have this micro switch pushed on does that mean its in auto or manual
thanks
mel

Is it wired correctly?

What happens when you latch it in the manual/mid position?

The man/auto switch as I understand it is nothing more than a lever to turn the actuator/motor/valve when boiler is not powered up.
With no power on the actuator/motor/valve is in the rest position which means CH port closed and HW port open.
When the system has been drained and needs refilling, you don't want the CH port closed, so the lever is used to turn the valve to mid position where it can be latched on a hook (manually) If this facility is not used you will get air lock.
After filling the lever is un-hooked (auto).
The lever was only designed for the above, but has been used when the motor not working. The valve can be moved and held at mid position so both HW and CH are available. This is only short lived because as soon as the HW is satisfied the valve is supposed to move to CH, but it can't do that with a non working motor.

Hi I think I have wired it correctly I matched it to the same as the old one and I can't move the lever cause I opened it up and it doesn't move anything
Thanks
Mel

Hi mandate thanks for the information it makes sense what the valve does now but as I said I took the casing off the new valve and its not moving anything inside I have to force the pressure switch with a screw driver for the central heating to come on
Thanks
Mel

On the subject of wiring, there are a couple of things to remember.
The boiler is fired up by power from the cylinder stat when HW is in demand. ie HW only or HW & CH. When the demand is for CH only, it can't come from the cylinder stat so it comes from the orange wire of the valve. Now it can't come from there until the 2nd micro switch has been triggered. This can't be triggered until the valve has travelled along the second part of travel. ie between mid position and CH only position.

For the valve to travel along the 2nd part, the valves 'grey' has to be made live and there are two methods of achieving this depending on whether HW has been selected or not.
The cylinder stat is basically a two way switch so when HW has been selected and becomes satisfied, the stat flips across to the 'satisfied terminal' and a wire from this terminal feeds the grey wire of the valve so it can move on to CH only. ( question is: is this wire in place)
Of course if HW has not been selected then there is no power at the cylinder stat and the method above don't work.
To overcome this problem the HW switch on the programmer is also like a two way switch, so when HW is not on it must be off and a wire is taken from the HW OFF terminal to feed the 'grey' wire of the valve. This wire may be direct or it may join the 'satisfied terminal' of the cylinder stat
So if the 'grey' is not connected to both stat and programmer there will be cases where the valve will not go beyond mid position and boiler will operate.
So with both HW and CH off the grey should be live, but it won't do anything till valve reaches mid position
With HW on it will not be live until HW has been satisfied.

hi mandate so what i can gather when its in auto when the ch is off the valve is off the switches telling the hot water to fill the tank till its satisfied and when the ch is on the valve then turns till it makes both micro switches the direct the water to the rads
thanks
mel

When its on auto the valve is free to move to any position as required according to what has been selected and what has been satisfied.
The valve basically starts its life without power and is in the HW position so CH is closed off. When you add CH the room stat provides power to the valves white wire and it's this that drives the motor until micro switch no1 is triggered at mid point. This breaks the power of the white and switches to the grey so it all depends if the grey is live or not. If its live the motor will continue onwards if not it is held at mid point until.
So in this case the grey is not live, so valve is at mid point and the pump pushes water into both HW and CH. Now when the HW becomes satisfied the cylinder stat switches the power across to make the grey live.
This now allows the motor to continue on to CH only.
In fact the boiler actually stops and starts again within a second or so, because the power to it from the cylinder stat was dropped and quickly replaced by the power coming from the 'orange wire when the 2nd micro switched was triggered.
So the heated water flows to both the HW and CH until one of them is satisfied and when that happens it all of the water goes to the unsatisfied one. When both are satisfied the room stat and cylinder stat both switch off and boiler closes down until one of the stats switch it on again

thanks i think its all working fine now cause when only the hw is on the valve is off and when ch is on as well as the hw then the valve moves to the 1st position only and when the hw is switched off the valve moves to the 2nd position feeding the ch only and when the ch goes off the valve moves off the switches
thanks
mel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back