Mid Position Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After my system has now been sealed there is a puzzling problem with my heating and hot water.

When the heating is on all radiators now get hot, however when heating and hot water is called for at the same time the downstairs radiators cool whilst the upstairs ones remain hot.

The plumber thinks it could be faulty mid position valve, however I am loathe to throw more money at the system, especially as the valve is fairly new anyway. Do you think this is something I could sort myself?

I guess I could have the timer for hot water come on at 4am for example for 2 hours when heating isn't an issue.

Many thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Is there a balance valve fitted to the cylinder return? This can be used to prevent such problems.

I have had a look at the actuator and it must be an old one as I can't see the switch which indicates CH HW or both? It is a Drayton MA1 but is upside down in the airing cupboard. There is a button on both sides and then a switch of some sort on the bottom but no marks to indicate HW/CH/both.

Many thanks

It's not the old one then.
One side willbe the button that releases the actuator.
the otherside is the H M W indicator
and the end one is the man/auto position lever.

Sponsored Links
ah, is it easy to take the actuator off so I can have a look at the indicator switch to make sure it moves ok?

Yes the button on the side pushes in and then lift acctuator off.

I'd be looking more along the lines of what 45yearsagasman has said.
More likely the cylinder is starving the heating of heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back