Miele G2182 Dishwasher circ pump repair

Reaction score
Country
United States
After my 5 year old Miele (G2182) started leaking and tripping the float sensor, and after the $150 service call where they tell me that it needs a $600 part+ labor for a 1k dishwasher, and after Miele refused to give me a decent break on the part, I decided to take the circ pump out and apart to see that I can do.

(thanks to user jenningsp, for the post in a older, different thread which, although not exactly the same, gave me the impetus to do it).

Anyway, after some finagling, I got the pump apart, and although I cannot identify the spot of leak, I decided it was work $60 to get the replacement part from ebay (http://tinyurl.com/o6cpah7) This gives me most of the O-rings/gaskets, except for one. There is a part that came out, that I thought I knew where it went, but now I am not sure. It is a small "T" shaped gasket as (hopefully) pictured in the attached lower pic.

I originally thought it went down the shaft of the motor (shaft of seal pointing up away from motor), with the flat part of the gasket pressing against that disc on the motor shaft and the bottom of the mounting plate, but that does not seem reasonable, since that shaft needs to turn freely, and putting it on the shaft would mean the shaft would be rubbing against that gasket all the time. Then I thought it went against the seal in the pump housing, with the shaft of the seal pointing towards the motor, but I am not sure. I cannot find an exploded diagram for this part, and %^$&$ I was so careful labeling everything and such as I took it apart, but this one came out without me noticing.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
from left to right: LEFT: motor body; plate that motor and housing mounts to; CENTER: (upper) pressure switch, (middle) mystery gasket, (lower) impeller; RIGHT pump housing
miele 1.JPG
miele 2.JPG

Sponsored Links
Would anyone at least have a repair manual that applies to this model? I found this: http://tinyurl.com/hvhzamz

But it doesn't exactly apply, since it talks about gears and a slide shutter assembly/motor, with gears (pp 91-93), which clearly does not apply to mine. This is an older manual from 2006...

There is a mention in the service manual about applying water or soap but the important parts are cut off!

You could reassemble and see where the water leaks from and that should indicate where the rubber thing fits! :ROFLMAO:

Well, an update for anyone that cares, which judging from the responses, pretty much no one. Nonetheless, if there is a G1000-2000 series owner out there who has a leaky circulation pump, well, this $65 repair worked. I ended up ordering from the following link: http://tinyurl.com/jxko9ch. The title says washing machine pump housing, but it was an identical part. Shipping from Germany took about 10 days.

I am not going to go into all the details here, but the part referenced above worked. Basically, it was either the O-ring, or the internal gasket (which sets below the impeller blade - the black disk inside the housing, pictured above) that was leaking. I took the whole pump and motor apart (as seen above) and replaced the new pump housing. The "extra part" discussed above I determined must be a somewhat superfluous part that is used to deflect water from the pump shaft/bearings in case of leak. Anyway, I put the whole thing back together in about 30 min, and it took another 30 minutes to reinstall in the dishwasher. Ran a full cycle without the bottom and side panel on to check for leaks, no problem. Reinstalled panels, installed dishwasher back in, ran a full load. No leak.

In all, about 3 hours of my time (plus another ~5 online checking for where the F that part went). $65. Instead of $650 or buy a new dishwasher and throw this one away. Simply ridiculous that I, with zero dishwasher repair experience, was able to fix this so cheaply and relatively easily, while Miele and the repair company wanted to replace the whole pump assembly/motor for so much more $$.

Words of advice: label everything as you take it off the pump before taking out; take a picture before taking out; have a couple old storage containers to put the screws in and label each one with where they come from; take pictures of the pump a few times as you disassemble (didn't do this one); you may not need to disassemble the actual motor - I did, becasue I didn't think I could unscrew the reverse-thread impeller head from the motor shaft, but in the end I think it was coming loose already as I spun it after removing the housing cap. Overall, removing/reinstalling the pump was pretty straightforward, and it is pretty obvious where everything goes and what connects with what, and how everything goes in. nonetheless, having labels and marks for orientation made it a lot easier and less stressful.

There is probably more. If someone is stuck and has a question, you can email me at drmoose00 at gmail. I don't check that one all the time.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I just took apart a pump from a g660 and on the shaft was the piece you were trying to find a home for.

It is just before the motor.
Perhaps it is to deflect any leaks away from the motor (down towards the drain hole).

The critical pieces are the white part under the impeller and the black rubber part inside the white piece (in the photo).

Oh, it can be used for this pump. After the white piece but before the silver motor frame. Again to deflect water that may have leaked away from the bearing and the motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just took apart a pump from a g660 and on the shaft was the piece you were trying to find a home for.

It is just before the motor.
Perhaps it is to deflect any leaks away from the motor (down towards the drain hole).

The critical pieces are the white part under the impeller and the black rubber part inside the white piece (in the photo).

Oh, it can be used for this pump. After the white piece but before the silver motor frame. Again to deflect water that may have leaked away from the bearing and the motor.

thanks, man,. That is what I figured, and that is ~where I put it. But it does make me feel better that it is (probaly) in the correct place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back