Miele T490 Tumble dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Wonder if anyone has come across this problem before.
I have a Miele T490 that beeps that the drying cycle is complete but the clothes are still wet. The heater works ok and if dryer set to a timed programme the clothes are dry.
I am assuming that it is probably the dryer sensor but dont want to buy unless I am sure it is that and not the theromstast.
Grateful of any advise, also information as to how to ge at these parts would be helpful.
Thanks
Mekkers

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's a problem with the residual moisture circuit. These dryers have 2 carbon brushes which sit on the drum as it rotates. A change in the resistance across these two points is how it knows whether the clothes are dry or not. If this malfunctions, then you might get these symptoms. Try to read fault codes (do a search, most Miele appliances will reveal fault codes after pressing buttons in certain sequence when switching on).

You could also take the top lid off (not sure if you model is similar to mine) and inspect the brushes for wear. In my machine there are easily accessible from the top.

D.

Thanks for the advice, finally managed to have a look at the carbon brushes, they are worn to about about half way. I wa sgoing to start by changing out the thermostat, does any one have any idea where this is located?
I did not mention in my original post that this fault is intermitant,

Mekkers

I can only speak for my model but it has 3 thermostats, 2 at the back and one at the front. At the rear close to the heater bank, there will be the silver over heat cut-out stat (circular with wings and about 2 cm across). This is an safety device and if tripped there will be no heat at all so you can rule that out. Beside this, is the rear NTC which is longer and narrower than the over heat stat. The front NTC is at the 8 o'clock position beneath the removable fluff filter at the opening of the dryer. Both NTCs control the heater and either one could be faulty. You'll need a multimeter to measure the resistance of these at room temperature and at 85 degrees C (cup of hot water). Search for posts by 'zipper' for details. Also worth checking for fault codes.

Sounds like the carbon brushes are ok but the PCB which controls the residual dampness circuit may be faulty. Certainly better to rule out cheaper alternatives first.

Ps be warned, all Miele parts are very expensive.

D.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, other than removing the 4 screws at the front what else needs to bedone. I tried but found that the front would not come free as it was being held at the top left hand side, do I need to release the top panel?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back