Miele T494C Dryer Possible Earth Leakage

I managed to disconnect the cooling fan. Doing this also disabled the service mode, I could initiate it (Short+ Start) but pressing the start button selecting after the specific test mode was a no go. What I then did was to run the dryer in normal mode, the drum rotated & the air heated & it did not trip off after the 80 second mark. Next, I put it in timer mode cool air and it did not trip and kept running. I removed the cooling fan and was hoping it might be a faulty capacitor but it tested OK with the multimeter (which has a capacitor test function). I am not 100% sure if the motor is at fault. I will investigate your suggestion of taking it to an appliance workshop where they can hook it up to mains power and do a bench test?

Sponsored Links
Now, I am curious as to why the timer cool air mode immediately trips the RCD. After determining the heater element was not the cause and that it was more likely the cooling fan attempting to come on line after 80 secs into the drying cycle. In timer "cool air mode" when the RCD tripped it verified the likelihood that the cooling fan (or associated circuit) was the cause. Now, I am not so sure that cooling fan is running in "cool air mode". If the primary function of the cooling fan is to cool the condenser plates why would it operate when only cool air is being cycled through the machine. I consider that "cool air mode" maybe just non heated air being cycled through the dryer by the dryer blower (i.e. not the cooling fan). It would be advantageous to know if the cooling fan does or does not run in "cool air mode".

Also, with the cooling fan removed I revisited the service mode. This time, I selected cool air mode (mainly just to see if anything would happen) it ran for a short period then stopped the Drying and Cool air LEDS were flashing (don't know if that has any significance)

I think the LEDs flashing are just the way the machine shows service faults like cooling fan is open circuited. The machine is very limited in the way it can indicate this so encodes error codes using panel LED combinations.

>>It would be advantageous to know if the cooling fan does or does not run in "cool air mode".

Unfortunately the service documentation does not have enough detail to determine what components are activated during individual programmes. At this stage, I think it is reasonable to assume the fan itself is knackered. Bit of a shame but might be able to get it tested electrically to be absolutely sure.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Honj. The price in AUS for a cooling fan is @ 550AUD so, if that is the fault the economics don't stack up. I will check for any issues with relays etc then take it from there.

Do you know if the condenser cooling fan circuit has a relay and if it does, where it is located on the unit?

Yep, there's a relay. Should be located on a power control PCB located somewhere behind the control panel according to the diagram I've seen. I'm not really sure I trust it though as on other Miele dryers the unit is mounted at the top right hand side mid way between front and back of machine.

Last edited:
I have checked the capacitor & it has met the spec multiple times with no variation in the results however, I was wondering if you know whether the capacitor is a start or start & run type.

Unfortunately there's no detailed information on the electrical components installed onto the parts like the fan. Sometimes Miele appliances have a wiring diagram printed and inserted into the lid - there might be more information available via that route.

Thank-you Honj, Yes I recall seeing a wiring diagram in the front panel/door. It has been a while since I've read those diagrams. I might post another specific question on the forum re the fan motor and relay. Somebody may have particular experience in that area. The trouble shooting thus far points to either a faulty condenser cooling fan or relay. One of the issues I have, is that I have to reassemble the unit after every dismantle which becomes a bit tedious.
Thanks to you and Harry my knowledge bank on these machines is significantly more than before. I did find a used cooling fan in Germany however, unfortunately they don't ship to AUS. I guess it is a matter of "persistence pays" versus "flogging a dead horse".

Thank-you Honj, Yes I recall seeing a wiring diagram in the front panel/door. It has been a while since I've read those diagrams. I might post another specific question on the forum re the fan motor and relay. Somebody may have particular experience in that area. The trouble shooting thus far points to either a faulty condenser cooling fan or relay. One of the issues I have, is that I have to reassemble the unit after every dismantle which becomes a bit tedious.
Thanks to you and Harry my knowledge bank on these machines is significantly more than before. I did find a used cooling fan in Germany however, unfortunately they don't ship to AUS. I guess it is a matter of "persistence pays" versus "flogging a dead horse".
Hello Harry and Honj, I rarely experience luck however, I decided to have one more search on the local marketplace website. To my surprise I found a not going T494C (cooked power supply). I offered the person a six pack of beer for the machine fully accepting it was a gamble. After a two hour round trip, I arrived home and had the cooling fan of the cooked machine installed in the dryer .... with fingers and toes crossed, I executed the appropriate service mode and to my great relief I heard and felt the airflow from a functioning cooling fan. I will store the cooked unit to xmas tree any parts (if needed) and hopefully it will provide a few more years of service. I maybe recycled before it is! Thank you for your assistance and in this case perseverance paid. I also know quite a lot more about condenser dryers that I did before.
Happy 2024
Regards
Chook

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back