Miele tumble dryer leaking from bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My dryer recently developed an issue with water leaking from the rear panel (as in //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/miele-tumble-dryer-condensing-leaking.302779/) and I fixed that issue by removing the flaking old gasket seal and resealing the rear panel to the main unit using heat resistant silicone. Job done I thought, but no. Now water is leaking from the bottom of the dryer!

If I pull out the condenser unit from the front I can see that the flat bottom of the airway (where the condenser usually sits) has several little pools of water, and which I seem to be overflowing over the side and then running out through the holes in the base plate. The side of the condenser chamber seems to be completely open and seems to permits this.
2016-03-07 17.07.51.jpg
Some water still makes it to the pump and comes out of the condensate tube. I don't know why all the water isn't making its way to the pump though. I'm not 100% on how the water is meant to get to the pump. The small hole at the back behind the grille seems be be unblocked.
2016-03-12 13.32.38.jpg

Everything accessible has been cleaned of any fluff etc.

Anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
It does sound like a blockage in the pump plumbing. Have you checked online for blow up diagrams of the construction? Alternatively you might just have to dismantle the machine to do a proper inspection for blockages.

Thanks. I couldn't find any blow up diagrams, only the wiring schematic that comes with the dryer, tucked under the lid - similar to
http://itsme.home.xs4all.nl/projects/dryer/. Unfortunately that doesn't show the actual parts so doesn't help much in this case.

However I did find an informative video explaining a generic condenser dryer operation which was useful:

Then I managed to remove the left side panel (had to remove the front panel first) to see what exactly was going on. It was clear that the water that had collected somehow in the base of the condenser "tunnel" (see first pic above) was being blown over the lip of the open left side of the tunnel, and it is this water that was soaking the sound-deadening felt material and then puddling on the floor. Condensate is ending up in the tank so it is partially working but I don't know if there are any blockages. I've tried in vain to find access to the sump or tank but haven't found a way yet.

The only cause I can think of (assuming that the condenser itself isn't leaking) is that the condensate water is coming out of the back of the condenser on its way to the drain hole, but the rear seal is faulty and allowing that water to leak back into the tunnel (obviously the condenser scoop isn't enough to direct the water to the drain hole. Yes the dryer is level). Having removed the condenser after a load it's not obvious where the leaked water is coming from. So I've removed the seal, turned it over and refitted it in case it helps ...

Last edited:
Apologies for reviving a very old thread but I have exactly the same problem as the OP. I've completely dismantled the dryer (T 8422 C) and cleaned the condenser filter and tunnel, hoses and cleaned the impeller pump and water trough. I've run their machine with the back panel on but both side panels off and the problem is exactly like the OP. When the fan blows air across the condenser, water pools around the left side of the tunnel and is blown over the side and onto the sound deadening wadding. This soon becomes saturated and drips through the holes in the base of the machine. I have tried locating the condenser in different positions in case the issue is poor fitting but there is simply no adjustment or misalignment possible.
The machine now look brand new but still leaks? Any ideas gurus?

Sponsored Links
Apologies for reviving a very old thread but I have exactly the same problem as the OP. I've completely dismantled the dryer (T 8422 C) and cleaned the condenser filter and tunnel, hoses and cleaned the impeller pump and water trough. I've run their machine with the back panel on but both side panels off and the problem is exactly like the OP. When the fan blows air across the condenser, water pools around the left side of the tunnel and is blown over the side and onto the sound deadening wadding. This soon becomes saturated and drips through the holes in the base of the machine. I have tried locating the condenser in different positions in case the issue is poor fitting but there is simply no adjustment or misalignment possible.
The machine now look brand new but still leaks? Any ideas gurus?

If you don't get an answer here, go the the appropriate sub-forum at

As much as I like this site, I have gotten answers there that failed to garner a helpful answer here... but if you do, please post back here with the solution. It will help other people given that this site has a higher google ranking.

Thought I'd answer the OP's question having found the fix.

The problem is the seals on the condenser had worn and needed replacement. You can still order these direct from Miele and cost around £25 each. The condenser tunnel should remain dry and with worn seals the water at the back can leak back into the tunnel and be blown over the edge as described.

Some people are selling a complete condenser unit for around £260 but you only need the seals assuming your original is intact. The seals are different sizes so order accordingly.

The Miele parts catalogue can be accessed here (Miele parts catalogue) and simply enter your model number.

If you've taken the back metal plate off you'll need to remove the old seal and refit using RTV available from any good car parts store. RTV is used to seal oil sumps, head gaskets and similar and generally works to temperatures over 200 degrees celsius.

Hope this helps anyone that has a similar problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back