Might be a daft question but may as well ask

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally getting my nads in the move to do some odd jobs that need doing and one thing that's been bugging me for a while is radiator placement

I'm seriously considering totally removing the kitchen radiator as it's a very small kitchen and it couldn't be in a worse place

In turn the placement of the living room rad is not so good and doesn't really help heat the room as it's under a bay window which is currently an old wooden draughty bay

I'm thinking I could use the rad from the kitchen to add as a second rad in the living room adjacent to the current one

Problem being I have a newish and I know thinking about this now is arse over tit

But is there a way to run the new pipes without having to lift the whole of the carpet as I need to do it with as little disruption as possible
If it's too much it may have to wait but just thought I would ask

Sponsored Links
The radiator in the living room would have been placed there with it being the place which has the most draft.
With double glazing it is less important to place them under the window as there would be less draft than before.
Completely removing the kitchen rad is likely to create damp issues and something I feel you will regret.
Can't really comment on the pipe runs as I don't know what floors you have or the existing system layout but in my experience running new pipework usually means disruption :(

Central heating was only fitted 7 years ago
Before this it never had any apart from a gas fire was no damp issues at all
Plus the rad in the dining room is approx 1-2m from the kitchen with no door obstructing

I understand the rad placement under window just feel the room needs a little "extra" warmth especially now we have a 9 week old baby

I'm thinking having a new baby, isn't necessarily the best time to start doing the odd jobs - musty be the nesting instinct :)

And the baby really won't be bothered about the temp, as long as it's got enough clothes on etc.

As to the rad. I'd probably look into whether the existing rad can be replaced with one with more output, as that would be much easier. Ideally doing a heat loss calc on the room first. However, as a start, is it a double convector rad? If not then can probably be replaced with one, which should increase the output.

As to moving it. the pipes can be surface run, clipped to the wall, drilling through walls etc. if necessary. How easy this is depends on the pipe run you have to use.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to start messing with a CH heating system at this time of year unless I had to. I'd use some form of electric heating as a boost in the living room. It won't be that expensive to run I wouldn't imagine, as it's just a boost. and don't worry about the baby, it won't be on the move until next summer. You can still if you want remove the kitchen rad. I'd try it with it turned off first to see if things are ok

I'd also make sure that the bay windows are as draft proofed as possible. Fil any gaps if there are any. Maye put some of that temporary 'cling film' secondary glazing over them

Sponsored Links
Does the pipe work come up from under the floor for the living room rad? If so you'd need to find out where the main circuit pipes are and gauge how much of the floor needs to come up for you to access the pipes to spur off them. Alternatively if not then the pipework could run along the wall, not so tidy and hot pipes with a wee one aint the best but they could be boxed in.

The more I think about it the more I may well just leave it until next year

In response to the questions asked

The rad in the living room is a double rad yes the size is small as the bay itself is small

Pipes are currently run under the floorboards

If i wa going to surface run pipes I do have the ideal pipe to feed from its about a 1-2m run from where the pipes go upstairs

They currently run up next to a door frame boxed in I could tee of them no issue

I'd remove the kitchen rad and replace it with a plinth heater running from the central heating pipes - you need heating in the kitchen or you will have damp issues as a previous poster has said. I have no rad in my kitchen and am desperate to get some heat in the room!

Yeah I understand about maybe getting damp

My logic was the house never had CH until 7 years ago and never suffered and damp issues and the kitchen itself is only very small at 1.5m x 3m you can hardly swing a cat

I think it's more placement issue than actually having the functionality of the rad but I just can't seem to think of an idea to help get more cupboard and worktop space in there for the life of me

What doesn't help either is the boiler placement, smack bang in the middle of useable space

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back