I hate asking the question, but here goes... it's about SIZE

You don't buy rads by their power output.

You buy them by the size, chosen by height to fit under windows, length to fit along wall and then see if power output suits the power needed.

Double panels are about 1.8 times that of a single.

Long rads spread the heat more evenly and look better and don't intrude into the room so much.

Tony

lol... really?

Now I know you're taking the pee :rolleyes: :)

Sponsored Links
Well, we decided to go Thermal Store with Biomass...

Nah, just kidding.

I'd like to say the final outcome is all mine. But the wife's attitude towards a tank system has swayed it, and the fact that we know how our lifestyle works with a combi (we've had one for years, so it's not like we don't know what it's all about)

We've gone with the following setup, which may be reviewed in 10 years (as our kids get to the age when hot water demand might be a bit more extravagant.

Vailant ecoTech Exclusive 838
Particular crowd pleaser in this case is the on demand hot water availability coupled with a decent flow rate. It has twice the stated flow that our current boiler has, and that's sufficient for a mixer shower.

One of the downsides to going tanked system of any description is that we'd lose a toilet. We have two now, and that is often not enough without someone dancing around in the family at least once a day rushing someone elses (usually mine) constitutional activities. The other downside to a tank... come bath night (yes, we try not to bath our kids every night, it takes too long by the time you get round all four of them) there's not going to be hot water left for "other stuff" and at the same time, the draw / need for hot water on the down days seems like a waste of energy heating water that's not getting used.

Big tank, perfectly practical - but then that's even more hot water sitting there.

The decision might seem a bit ludicrous to some, however I have taken on everyones advice and really do appreciate the time folks have taken to offer up that advice, and I'd love the luxury of being able to get right down with someone who appreciates large house setups, unfortunately I've had to go with what I've found / heard here and the need for hot water and heat within the next couple of weeks. I'd even contemplated getting a "cheap" boiler installed now, ready to address the situation when we have the luxury of better weather and time.

Next up, I'll be sure to get some photo's n wotnot as the install progresses along with the "final" install.
[/b]

Particular crowd pleaser in this case is the on demand hot water availability coupled with a decent flow rate. It has twice the stated flow that our current boiler has[/], and that's sufficient for a mixer shower.

Big tank, perfectly practical - but then that's even more hot water sitting there.

It quotes 15 li/min!

But I cannot imaging what your current boiler can be. I have never seen one less than 24 kW which gives 9 li/min !

When you heat up a HW cylinder, the heat is not lost but stays in the cyl until you need to use it.

Tonyony

Particular crowd pleaser in this case is the on demand hot water availability coupled with a decent flow rate. It has twice the stated flow that our current boiler has[/], and that's sufficient for a mixer shower.

It quotes 15 li/min!

But I cannot imagine what your current boiler can be. I have never seen one less than 24 kW which gives 9 li/min !

When you heat up a HW cylinder, the heat is not lost but stays in the cyl until you need to use it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
We've gone with the following setup:

It has twice the stated flow that our current boiler has.
The stated flow of 15 lpm is a theoretical figure. It all depends on the incoming cold water flow rate and the dynamic pressure.

You don't appear to have measured this.

Sorry, I didn't include everything in the spec. Was going to install a 12 litre expansion vessel. Would you suggest that would be sufficient?

Hadn't considered a low loss header to be fair.

A standard combi boiler usually has a 6 or 8 litre EXV built in. That's usually just adequate for a three bed semi with standard pressed steel panel rads with a water content of about 80 litres.

High water content rads like cast iron types and the water content is far more.

A very simple rule of thumb is to say 1 li of EXV per rad. But although you have not quoted how many rads, an 18 li additional EXV would seem more suitable.

Tony

The OP seems to have made some unusual decisions!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back