Mine Shaft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,

Has anyone had any experience dealing with Mine shafts?
We have one under our garage & was wondering if it was grouted would we be allowed to build on top of it?
As currently we have been told that within 10 metres of a mine shaft we would not get Building Control Approval.
It has been confirmed from records that it was has double brick walls & a metal cap on top.
Any experience you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need permission from the coal authority before you go to building control. They have records which should show how the shaft was dealt with and what you can or can't do.

Answer will almost certainly be no.

Parents live near Barnsley in a new build (well it was 16 years ago), they have a large garden with a mine shaft in it. The developer told them it was there and if it hadn't been then there would have been another house in the space.

He built a detached garage over it - BC required a thick, heavily re-enforced raft and stipulated that it could never be converted to habitable.

It may still be worth asking, I am following with interest a planning application in a local town for a large housing estate. The area in question is honeycombed with former underground mine workings, hence why the area remains greenfield land. Various sinkholes have opened up in the past, and 'springs' emerged in new places, suspected to be draining from the old workings.

The developers plan to fill the old workings with grout to stabilise the area, and also to fill some sections with gravel to allow for drainage. Personally think the whole idea is a fantasy, but they've put a lot of effort into their plans and seem to mean business.... :eek:

Sponsored Links
It may still be worth asking, I am following with interest a planning application in a local town for a large housing estate. The area in question is honeycombed with former underground mine workings, hence why the area remains greenfield land. Various sinkholes have opened up in the past, and 'springs' emerged in new places, suspected to be draining from the old workings.

The developers plan to fill the old workings with grout to stabilise the area, and also to fill some sections with gravel to allow for drainage. Personally think the whole idea is a fantasy, but they've put a lot of effort into their plans and seem to mean business.... :eek:

Not exactly a weekend job for a DIYer then! Lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back