minimum brick piller size - strengthening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've submitted plans for an extension following some of the advice here, Small floor plan attached. Just thought about the strength of the inner leaf.

I would prefer a straight wall inside the bathroom. But to achieve this the cavity wall near the door needs to be cut at the thickness of the adjoining wall - 300mm and then a cavity closer fitted. The outside wall will be joined and secured with wall starters to the new extension. The inside wall (thermal block) will only be attached to the external leaf with wall ties and the lintel above it from the french door beside it. I suppose it doesn't make this area a pillar any more ?

I've yet to discuss it with BC but is there any easy (ish) solution that i could put to them? Could i join the two walls together by using cut concrete lintels or blocks ? several times. maybe even cement in blocks, and then fit bolts through the whole section (300mm~ or so) Not sure if structural calculation will be required. Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Thanks woody and for the effort you put in doing the sketch. The wall will be 300mm thick(cavity) and 300mm wide ending up a square pillar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back