Minimum cupboard/room size for combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a "room" off the hall that measures 520mm x 920mm (2400mm ceiling (outside wall).

Apart from 50mm either side which I have, is there a minimum size of room to fit a condensing combi boiler?

I was thinking 'cos its sealed to the room it wouldn't matter and wouldn't need vents in the door but thought I'd check

...oh and does it matter if the elec consumer unit is in there?

:)

Sponsored Links
neither has been commissioned yet so thought I'd see what my options are by asking on here first

Its not a one size fits all, have a think about which boilers you are considering then look up the installation instructions on line and all the clearances are there, not a problem that the consumer unit is in the same cupboard but you have to consider what happens if the boiler or associated pipe work leaks , will the water get into the consumer unit ?

Sponsored Links
It'll be a Ferroil DOMIcondens HE26C
but the manual doesn't give any dims...

3.2 Place of installation
The combustion circuit is sealed with respect to the place of installation, therefore the unit can be installed in any room. However, the place of installation must be sufficiently ventilated to prevent the creation of dangerous conditions in case of even small gas leaks. This safety standard is required by the EEC Directive no. 2009/142 for all gas
units, including those with sealed chamber

If the unit is enclosed in a cabinet or mounted alongside, a space must be provided
for removing the casing and for normal maintenance operations

question is what "sufficiently ventilated" means

Boiler will be on the short wall and CU will be on the long wall and not in a position to be leaked on

Great! I came on here for answers not to be trolled - 23odd thousand posts of nonsense - good ridance!

Now back to the point, can anyone tell me if I can fit this boiler in this room?

cheers

Oh dear.....someone woke up with a sore head this morning. :D

Bare in mind distances between pipework/appliance regarding electrical gear.

Now back into assessment for me.

:D

thanks for the reply

'leccy is well clear on adjacent wall, I'm happy pipe work wont interfere as the kitchen is back to back with the boiler so cold water supply, condensate and DHW will disappear through the (stud) wall, only the CH will be routed up into the attic (bungalow)

It seams like the ideal place for it but just concerned about the room size and venting

Please take the expert advice and avoid this boiler, you are just buying a whole load of expensive heartache, go a few hundred pounds more and get something decent , I am replacing a 2 year old one of these on friday, this will be the third one I have replaced that is less than 3 years old and I always try to repair boilers rather than replace

The manual does give you the dimensions although not very clear I agree, the very first image on the first page gives you a drawing of the boiler with the dimentions on it but doesnt show required clearances

Cheers Ian

I am an eternal optimist and at £450 including the flue I'm prepared to take a punt :eek: ;)

I had a Biasi installed in my mum-in-laws bungalow (3.5years and still going strong!) and as far as the clearances for that are concerned it needed 25 - 50mm to the sides and 200mm above and below and servicing access. I assume the Ferroli to be similar and on what it says (or doesn't say) in the manual then it physically will fit with sufficient clearance.

My concern remains regarding the "the place of installation must be sufficiently ventilated to prevent the creation of dangerous conditions in case of even small gas leaks."

I can easily put a vent panel above the door if that satisfies the requirements but would look unsightly if I had to put one in the bottom of the door too.

The plaster board is off in the kitchen and I have the oppotunity to fix noggins in to support the boiler.
At the end of the day the fitter will put it there or in the loft with an additional controller, in my opinion it would be easier in the cupboard but ultimately his call. I'll put the extra noggins in anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back