Combi boiler cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does a door to a combi boiler cupboard need to have vent slats? The current door have one at the top and one at the bottom but this was there when the old boiler was there, which was a conventional gas boiler with a hot water tank. The existing boiler is a combi boiler and I am looking to replace the cupboard door but don't know if I need to install one with vents like the existing door?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't 'need' the vent to function like the old boiler might have. The boiler manual will tell you a compartment (i.e cupboard) needs ventilation for cooling of the boiler.

I cut out a hole in the bottom of my boiler cupboard where the 3 year old combi sits leaving about 25mm border to hold the cupboard together structurally and a couple of supporting struts across the top.

Sponsored Links
Either way, make sure the door (and preferably some of the rest of the cupboard allows access for maintenance, this may mean making the door and sides removable. Also ensure that the clearances stated in the installation manual are kept to.

Either way, make sure the door (and preferably some of the rest of the cupboard allows access for maintenance, this may mean making the door and sides removable. Also ensure that the clearances stated in the installation manual are kept to.
it's quite a big cupboard under the stairs. i will get a ventilation grill fitted at the bottom of the door as having one at the top and one at the bottom (which is the current arrangement on the old door) is a bit OTT I think.

None required.

1672594328139.png

Having a ventilation grill fitted at the bottom of the door as having one at the top and one at the bottom (which is the current arrangement on the old door) is a bit OTT I think.

You may think that, however, it was a requirement of the boiler manufacturer of the earlier boiler and no one has any authority to reduce the ventilation that they require.

Indeed if the Gas Registered installer fitted a boiler with lesser ventilation he would be infringing his professional standards and risking being struck off the register if any complaint was made.

Gas Safe could also serve a Notice on him to correct the deficient ventilation ( at his own cost ).

If the boiler caught fire as a result of the sub standard ventilation then the Installer could be held responsible for damage caused.

The reason for ventilation at both high and low levels is to encourage a thermal flow of air.

You may think that, however, it was a requirement of the boiler manufacturer of the earlier boiler and no one has any authority to reduce the ventilation that they require.

Indeed if the Gas Registered installer fitted a boiler with lesser ventilation he would be infringing his professional standards and risking being struck off the register if any complaint was made.

Gas Safe could also serve a Notice on him to correct the deficient ventilation ( at his own cost ).

If the boiler caught fire as a result of the sub standard ventilation then the Installer could be held responsible for damage caused.

The reason for ventilation at both high and low levels is to encourage a thermal flow of air.

I mean OTT for the modern day boiler that I have there now, which doesn't need ventilation.

My boiler cupboard in a self-adapted kitchen unit, wide open at the top, and designed to fit our first boiler long ago. The present boiler fits with more than the manufacturer's recommended space around it. I made it easily removable, just two screws to remove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back