Two questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a couple of quick questions,

1. My combi boiler is in a cupboard upstairs, the door to the cupboard has to vents in, which i guess are for the boiler. Would it be possible to pub a vent in from the outside and replace the door?

2. I am starting to strip out my kitchen, the gas hob seems to be on some sort of self seeling coupling, is it possible to undo this myself, of is a corgi guy needed?

Cheers

Russ

Sponsored Links

1. My combi boiler is in a cupboard upstairs, the door to the cupboard has to vents in, which i guess are for the boiler. Would it be possible to pub a vent in from the outside and replace the door?

the vents in the cupboard door are more likely for show than for the boiler to benefit from.

2. I am starting to strip out my kitchen, the gas hob seems to be on some sort of self seeling coupling, is it possible to undo this myself, of is a corgi guy needed?

corgi to cap off the gas supply.

Cheers

Russ

Normally a combi boiler will be room sealed and will not require any ventilation depending on the size of the compartment but check with the manufacturers instructions as per your particular appliance for 100% clarification.

In a normal case then it would be fine for you to remove a flexible hose as this connection is made to be removed by a householder.

The problem that i see with yours is that you state that it is connected to a gas hob and this is a definate no no!! Call an RGI out to repipe the hob so that it has a rigid connection and means of local isolation. Your situation could lead to a very dangerous outcome!![/b]

Some boilers require compartment ventilation, to keep the ambient temperature down. The vents might be redundant if the boiler has been changed, and it may be possible to vent to outside instead. The manufacturer's manual for the boiler will give details.

I believe these bayonet couplers were originally designed so they could be connected and disconnected by the householder. They can leak though, and in my opinion it would be prudent to have the gas checked for soundness if the connection is disturbed.

Sponsored Links
If the boiler is an old combi, then it could well need compartment ventilation of the size stipulated in the MI's.

If you change this to an external wall, then the size of vents can usually be reduced, top and bottom.

You must however have both vents open to the same area, ie both to outside or both through the door. You cannot mix and match.

It would help if you told us make and model of your combi.

The problem that i see with yours is that you state that it is connected to a gas hob and this is a definate no no!! Call an RGI out to repipe the hob so that it has a rigid connection and means of local isolation. Your situation could lead to a very dangerous outcome!![/b]

Some hob manufacturers permit the use of a flexible hose on their installations, as long as it meets certain criteria. Such as :
The hose will be installed in the same area as the hob and not pass through into another cupboard.
The hose will not be liable to temperatures of 70 degrees or more.
Installed where it will not be liable to mechanical damage.

If you read the MI's, it will tell you.

Many thanks for the replies, When the new kitchen goes in will be an electric oven/hob so gonna get a corgi guy in to disconnect and cap off the pipe. Looked at the instructions for the boiler and needs the vents there, cheers for all your help.

Russ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back