Flu and vents for heating 40/50 year house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are looking at buying a new house we have visited a couple of times now.

There is a black chimney, presumably related to the Potterton boiler that is situated upstairs in the center of the house.

Bellow the cupboard with the boiler (downstairs) are 2 cupboard next to each other, one has a metal door that's about knee height, but the cupboard inside goes right up to the ceiling if you put your head inside and it has vents on each of the 3 walls at ceiling height, the second cupboard has 2 metal ducks I guess you might call them. One of which leads to a vent back into the first cupboard the other to a further vent into the kitchen near the floor.

What the hell is going on ?

The Potterton is fairly new, though not a combi, and its clear than much of the heating piping is fairly new also, with many radiators that can't be much more than 3 years old.

I take it its related to the boiler being in the center of the house, but its upstairs why all the vents etc downstairs?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did this house originally have warm air heating that has been removed and replaced with a wet central heating system.

The warm air unit would have been in the central cupboard and the warm air would have risen up and out of the vents into the surrounding rooms.

Not sure but that kinda makes sense really, the house particularly in the middle on both floors has alot of cupboards, I've never heard of this type of heating before though.

Either way its OK to block up/remove the vents ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Check whether the boiler needs ventilation if its installed in a cupboard. Can't see any problems with blocking off other redundant vents.

I think where its just in an upstairs cupboard the flu goes straight out of the roof through a thinish black chimney. So the cupboard setup down stairs is obsolete it appears?

can you post a picture of the metal ducks please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back