Vent requirement for room sealed boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, we have an argument about the vent requirement for a room sealed (negative pressure) boiler. Basically we want to install a room sealed Potterton boiler (new variety) in something which looks like a cupboard which lets onto a kitchen. The cupboard cannot be sealed (it has a huge open arch much bigger than a normal door which is permanantly open (it would require bespoke doors to shut it so could not be done accidentally). I think this means that we do not need to provided ventilation in the kitchen but someone might correct me. The cupboard is not completly sealed into the underfloor cavity (where the pipes disappear, but almost complete sealing could be acheived fairly easily. What are the requirments in this case?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If you have an arch with no door frame or hinges I wouldn't consider it a "compartment" because it can't be closed off.

If you're having a new room sealed boiler fitted it's likely that it won't need compartment ventilation anyway. Consult the manufacturers instructions or better still, ask your installer.

What boiler is it?

Thanks very much that is very helpful. I will point out that it probably isnt a compartment.

I'm pretty sure it is this one: Main Combi 30 Eco Boiler. Does that mean it isnt necessary to have the vent?

My mother just had one installed and they insisted on putting a vent in even though I'm pretty sure it didnt need one (some people just do what they have always done).

Are you even sure which boiler you are having installed? You start out by saying it's a Potterton in your first post, then in your second post you say it's a Main.

It doesn't make all that much difference because most modern boilers do not require additional ventilation, but just thought I'd point it out.

Sponsored Links
Yes i'm pretty sure is is a Main Combi 30 Eco Boiler but I can double check tonight. I think Potterton make Main boilers but I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't need a vent but make sure you check the installation instructions. If you don't have them then go online, the Main website will have them.

If there isn't a door fitted, where did they fit the vent??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back