soundproofing a boiler cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a council property where there is a combi boiler fitted in the small bedroom. It is in a cupboard but since the room is very small and my sons bed is next to the boiler cupboard , the boiler sound is winding him up.

I have read about soundproofing boiler cupboards but wanted to know if anyone has tried this and successfully reduced the sound? I am wary of it actually working due to sound escaping through the cupboard door vent.

Any help would be appreciated as my son has mild autism and its a struggle to even turn the hot water on without him throwing a tantrum

Sponsored Links
What boiler is it?

If the door has a vent, then it might be required by the boiler for cooling of the cupboard.

A requirement that might make soundproofing dangerous.

Have you considered what times you really need to run the boiler?

Tony

Sponsored Links
The problem is that he barely leaves his bedroom.because of his condition its difficult to even negotiate times with him also. It is more of a problem during the winter months as were not able to put on the central heating and depend on electric heaters around the house. If I was able to move house I would do at the drop of a hat.

Its a 2 bedroom wheelchair adapted property with a lift in my bedroom (which I need) so its not an option.
Can I just get advice regarding the soundproofing please, as its looking like the only solution for me and need advice purely on this . Thanx

We have given you as much advice as we can without knowing the dimensions of the cupboard.

Even knowing that the advice is unlikely to be much different as its very likely that the vents are required for ventilating the boiler.

Furthermore, any sound proofing material that you might think of adding must be fire resistant and always leave a gap around the boiler. The gap is usually 25 mm but again depends on the boiler model.

Bedrooms are not the recommended location for boilers.

In theory you could raise a complaint to the Council and see if they will consider moving/replacing the boiler. Their response will probably depend to an extent on the age which seems quite old.

I dont know if you were shown the property before moving but it is an issue that should ideally have been raised then.

Tony

The instructions for the boiler make no mention of compartment ventilation. But you should consult your housing officer. In my experience, soundproofing the kind of construction you're talking about from the kind of noises you're experiencing is a fools errand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back