CO detector in boiler cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The combi boiler sits in an airing cupboard in a bedroom.

Is the detector best sited in the cupboard?

My thinking is that with the cupboard door closed, if there is a CO build up, the door impedes the flow of CO to the detector if its outside.

Sponsored Links
The combi boiler sits in an airing cupboard in a bedroom.

Is the detector best sited in the cupboard?

My thinking is that with the cupboard door closed, if there is a CO build up, the door impedes the flow of CO to the detector if its outside.
The ones I used to fit said NOT to fit them in a cupboard. Check the installation instructions for yours.

I am not a plumber...

A combi boiler (in theory) should not need a CO meter because it has a balanced flue. But yeah, put one in the room nearest to the boiler just in case.

___ edit----- perhaps out side of the cupboard in case you cannot hear it?

This is always fraught with difficulty .
Every one that I have seen says not to fit in cupboard. However, it makes more sense to do so in the boiler cupboard.
Opps comment about a balanced flue not needing one SEEMS logical , and is actually almost true for a BF. However, I suspect he means room sealed. The potentially dangerous part of a Fan Flue boiler is actually the flue joints, so you should have an alarm in each room through which the flue passes.

Sponsored Links
I know the Aico ones state near the bed iirc, but you should always (imo) position them where you’re likely to be alerted, should a situation arise, so in your case, by the bed, if it’s an unused bedroom, eg storage room, then still outside the cupboard. Also at least 1m to 3m maximum from the fuel burning appliance.

I know what’s being said about it being room sealed, however, I had an issued once with a room sealed boiler that wasn’t fixed to the wall properly, and it fell forwards, and activated the alarm.

Last edited:
As close to any gas burning flue'd appliance as possible, above the flue, you want it to go off as early as possible IMO

As close to any gas burning flue'd appliance as possible, above the flue, you want it to go off as early as possible IMO

You may have thought so, but CBW is correct. 1-3M from appliance

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
my thoughts
in a closed cupboard with a perhaps 0.25 cubic meter volume a co2 alarm may go off but as soon as you open the door it will be diluted by the 100-200 times volume off the room so will soon stop /be reset so go from ultra oversensitive in an enclosed area with near zero air change to a room with perhaps 5 to 10% air change every hour or so through use /ventilation and trickle vents that will by far compensate and dilute to a safe level
my thoughts are to place it near to the cupboard in the room and if it goes off it means the concentration in that area is high but near the door /window or vent hasnt quite reached that level through dilution so far less false alarms connected with confined spaces but a warning it needs attention ??

but i am no expert so please consider your own safety(y)

I always put in a direct line to the ceiling above the boiler/fire so yup it would be about 3-4 feet away unless it combined and then it tends to go on the ceiling. Especially with the new regs up here in Feb to introduce the new standards for interlinked smoke/co alarms

Thanks All for the feedback comments, much appreciated.

The cupboard is on the 1st floor and the flue goes up into the attic and out through a gable end wall.

If not in the cupboard, it seems the CO detector is best sited just outside on the ceiling with a wall vent above the cupboard door to allow the gas to flow out should there be a leak.

A wall vent is a likely to let CO and other products of combustion in as it is to let CO out, especially if the wind is in the wrong direction. It's highly unlikely (very nearly impossible) for a modern balanced flue boiler to release carbon monoxide into the room if it has been correctly fitted and the case is on. You're more likely to get a false positive from the alarm

A wall vent is a likely to let CO and other products of combustion in as it is to let CO out, especially if the wind is in the wrong direction. It's highly unlikely (very nearly impossible) for a modern balanced flue boiler to release carbon monoxide into the room if it has been correctly fitted and the case is on. You're more likely to get a false positive from the alarm

Tell that to the families of those who died having had a badly fitted boiler when n fact it had defects

My post did specify "correctly fitted"
Indeed. But how does a householder know this?
Also, I have seen a combi flue completely detached from its boiler due to workers on the roof. The boiler has no idea that it is spewing fumes into an occupied space

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back