Carbon Monoxide Detector going off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, This morning my digital CO detector was activated reading 237 ppms, and when I opened the cupboard door where my glowworm Hideaway 50 boiler is the wind was blowing down the back flue from the boiler (which goes thru the loft to the roof) and also the other vent flues to the roof. Because it's so windy you can feel & hear it blowing badly in the cupboard. I turned everything off and when the boiler cooled down took out the burner and cleaned it and the top of the boiler rads. Relit the boiler but the detector went off again so switched everything off. The flames were quite yellow which is bad ain't it. Would it just be the wind blowing down the flues or do I need a service, repair or a new boiler, I suppose it's about 12/15 years old.
If I need a new boiler any ideas what would be best, combi or whatever, and now taking libertys any ideas of the cost. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Switch off and do not use until the problem has been rectified

Seek expert on site advice ASAP

Sponsored Links
All sorted, Corgi man serviced the boiler but smoke bombs kept blowing back with some force, so up in the loft taking flue apart found a bit of muck in it at the top but smoke bombs kept coming back again, so then up on the roof to clear a bit of muck out of the ridge tile thingy and every things now hunkydory, now like a new boiler. :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back