Carbon Monoxide detector in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a bungalow and, although the gas central heating boiler is in the kitchen, the flue goes out through the roof. As there are a couple of 45-degree elbows in the flue (in the loft), I'm debating whether to fit a Carbon Monoxide detector in the loft - the problem being it's relatively inaccessible should it go off!

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
John,
Not needed at all, but (if you are like me) now you have considered it you have to fit one, else you are going to keep thinking about it.
(note that this is the reason I now have (the not really needed) battery smoke alarm in my loft as I have TV amplifier etc up there).

Get a cheap one and put it at the side of the loft hatch. Not best place but then easier to get to to change batteries.

Also note that if it goes off, don't go up into a possibly CO filled room to check it.
Turn off heating and wait for it to vent.

Also, more importantly, do you have one near the boiler itself?
SFK

Last edited:
Needs to be where you live , within 3m of point of combustion (boiler) but no closer than 1m.

Thanks for the replies. I bought a twin pack so put one in the kitchen (about 1.5m from the boiler) and one just inside the loft.

Sponsored Links
Do you have some sort of fire in the Lounge Open/gas etc if so thats where the second detector should go .

Do you have some sort of fire in the Lounge Open/gas etc if so thats where the second detector should go .
Yes, I do but I already have a detector in that room. I thought it best not to mention it so as not to over-complicate things :)

I was mainly concerned about the joints for the two elbows in the loft flue. Although the boiler is serviced annually, I've only ever seen the BG engineer go into the loft twice in 10 years.

Have three , one for loft [boiler position]one for lounge [wood burner] and one in kitchen [gas hob].

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back