CO alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't install a concentric flue in void where flue joints are present without means to inspect those joints.

So u have 3 choices
install it to regs and Register it
Don't install it to regs and register it

You already know this so don't know why your asking.

I have a question for you. Why no hatches?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Did some looking, now you all know:

http://www.baxi.co.uk/baxi-launches-approved-co-monitoring-shut-off-system-for-flues-in-voids.htm

From Baxi site:

Baxi has launched NoCO, currently the only carbon monoxide (CO) monitoring/shut off system endorsed by the Industry Flues in Voids working group.

NoCO is a room or void monitoring safety shut-off system (COSSVM) compatible with any boiler make or model. It provides an approved alternative to the installation of inspection hatches as detailed in the Gas Safe Technical Bulletin 008 (Edition 3).

Gas industry guidance which came into effect in the UK on 1 January 2013 requires any registered gas safe engineer to recommend the installation of inspection hatches in buildings where part of the flue system cannot be seen, for example when concealed in ceiling voids, floor voids or behind false walls. In these cases, a gas engineer should classify the boiler as 'At Risk' and with the responsible person's permission, turn the boiler off until inspection hatches are fitted. NoCO is the first and only alternative to fitting inspection hatches, which fully complies with the Preferred Industry Options, detailed in part I of the TB008.

A sensor fitted within the void provides constant CO detection. NoCO provides an additional level of protection for property owners that do not have, nor agree to have, inspection hatches installed. If the void sensor detects CO it will automatically shut down the entire boiler system and set off an audible alarm. The boiler then cannot be reset until a Gas Safe engineer is called out to investigate the source of the CO.

Each sensor can be connected wirelessly to a control unit, which is wired in between the fuse spur and boiler. Detection of CO from any paired sensor will send a signal to the control unit, which will set off an audible alarm, and remove the power supply to the boiler.

Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, due to insufficient oxygen supply. A sealed flue will ensure this highly poisonous, odourless, colourless gas is expelled safely. Today, NoCO is the only alternative solution to hatches that complies with Gas Safe guidance.
The NoCO video:

If the homeowner does not want inspection hatches then the NoCO 'CAN' be fitted. Duct inspection hatches are NOT mandatory.

http://baximarketing.co.uk/noco/downloads/VoidAlarmInstallationandUserGuide.pdf

http://www.http://no-co.co.uk

'TB 008 is a guidance document which recommends the use of inspection hatches where this style of flue is installed. However Appendix 1, section 11 offers an alternative to hatches (in situations where a homeowner or tenant does not want a hatch fitted) in the form of a CO void monitoring safety shut off system (COSSVM). NoCO is a system to meet this requirement and will shut down the boiler in the event of CO being detected within a void.'​

GasWizard, the controller and sensor will be inches from each other, so the radio link will not hopefully drop. I would rather have a hard wired unit with a radio link, but they appear not to be available. Do you know of one?

Yet another questioner not being prepared to accept the answer, unless it is what he wanted to hear.
I have had no answer yet, only attitude from some.
CO alarms were allowed within a grace period, now long gone.
Oh thanks, an answer, so they are not allowed any longer.
According to Gas Safe the Baxi system is NOT approved for a new install. It can only be used as a retrofit.
Thanks! An answer! FYI, Gas Safe are not the people who formulate and enforce regulations.

A new install? Does this mean in a new build house? A new 'install'? Does this mean also in an existing property? These are simple questions.

The Baxi NOCO is a total crock of shyte.
Thanks you for your unhelpful input.

I think attitude is 2 way

Why bother asking of you know all the answers?

I understand perfectly the role of Gas Safe, having been on the register since inception.
If you care to look at page 3 , note 4 you will see GS's interpretation and guidance:
https://engineers.gassaferegister.c...ler chimney - flue systems - 1 April 2013.pdf

"A new install? Does this mean in a new build house? A new 'install'? Does this mean also in an existing property? These are simple questions"

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/co-alarm.456744/#ixzz44nB2tPDO
"New install" is pretty clear. New boiler and flue fitted in any premises.

Good luck with finding the complete kit for £50

I assume this is going to be a DIY job.?

GasWizard, the controller and sensor will be inches from each other, so the radio link will not hopefully drop. I would rather have a hard wired unit with a radio link, but they appear not to be available. Do you know of one?
Phone Baxi and ask for NOCO tech , I'm sure they'll be more helpful to you than I was.:ROFLMAO:
I'm gonna bet the sensor will require re-binding before Baxi pick up the phone.:ROFLMAO:

I think attitude is 2 way

Why bother asking of you know all the answers?

I understand perfectly the role of Gas Safe, having been on the register since inception.
If you care to look at page 3 , note 4 you will see GS's interpretation and guidance:
https://engineers.gassaferegister.co.uk/doc/FluesInVoids/TB 008Ed 3 - Existing concealed room-sealed fanned-draught boiler chimney - flue systems - 1 April 2013.pdf

"A new install? Does this mean in a new build house? A new 'install'? Does this mean also in an existing property? These are simple questions"

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/co-alarm.456744/#ixzz44nB2tPDO
"New install" is pretty clear. New boiler and flue fitted in any premises.

Good luck with finding the complete kit for £50

I assume this is going to be a DIY job.?

Stop ruining the fun

I wanted him to find out on his own that TB 008 doesn't cover new installations
Nor does Baxi noco
Nor does anyone box in th flue elbow

The guy is a troll

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back