Urgent! Please advise. H+S alerted of 'timebomb Baxi 80E'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Baxi 80E (Gas combi) installed by X & co under Warmfront Grant just under 2 years ago.

Vertical concentric flue-through ceiling of daughters' bedroom (inside airing cupboard)- the boiler, not the the daughters. javascript:emoticon(':rolleyes:')
'X and co's' installation was rushed, poorly finished- see pics, and it turns out (?) dangerously installed. It was on a grant, and all happened while I was at work- my wife made the tea, and signed things at the end of the day. We would have had major concerns given the quality of the finishes, but the boiler was independantly checked after X & Co had finished and it passed! The lads that did it had a very very long commute and I don't mind making good the odd blemish. The angle of the flue, and the lead tile took it a bit far though.

I have always thought the boiler was noisy and v busy- spends a lot of time ticking as it sparks up over and over again only to shut down. I (wrongly) thought this was how it kept the temperature just right- as thermostats kick in and out...?

I have just had Baxi leave us after 3 visits (under warranty) with the final report being that the flue is at fault and needs reassembling. Baxi engineer showed me that the flame is lifting and cutting out, but with the front off, it works fine. Therefore problem is flue which means that the problem is not Baxi's. Problem is mine. Fair enough.

BTW, we have had a number of routine inspections since, and have not had any comment on it's working in this start-stop fashion. Go figure?

I did not want X & co back so called in A.N. Other company, who were horrified to see that the flue duct had melted (very mis-shaped) just at the point it connects onto the top of the boiler body. I am informed by A.N.Other company that the flue duct atop my boiler is the type for a condensing (cool exhaust gasses) type, NOT suitable for my old-style hot-exhaust boiler. A metal duct should have been fitted to our 80E.
This does make sense, as two-foot above the plastic section, the tube joins to and continues in thick alumimium.
Presumably exhaust gases were mixing back into inward air, hence flame lift etc.
I was not 101% convinced, despite the state of the pipe, so called Baxi Technical 3 times to quiz them on the materials of the standard and condensing ducts, respectively. Each time they confirmed what I was hearing from A.N.Other; WRONG pipe.

A.N.Other took it v seriously- took pics and spoke of obligatory referrals to H+S, asked for full details of X & Co -"Who did that?!"

I am of course pleased that;
1. we did not all die from Co poisoning nor burn to death- both proposed as highly likely.
2. A.N. Other firm are going to fit the thing properly and they seem like true professionals.

However, advice needed here>>> A.n.other have suggested that I ought to be able to get Warmfront to pay for remedial works, i.e, under Sale of Goods act. BUT, don't I have to give X & co another shot first? I am loathe to even contact them, let alone invite them into our home. It seems A.N.Other are confident and relaxed to continue given that I will easily get reimbursed, but I am expecting a less straightforward outcome.

Any advice, gratefully received. Many many thanks. Apologies for the waffle, but wanted to give all needed detail.
:rolleyes:
[/i]

Sponsored Links
'X and co's' installation was rushed, poorly finished- see pics, and it turns out (?) dangerously installed.

Who said that then, calm down Dad, :rolleyes: take a Valium and don`t listen to Salesmen. ;)

At that distance from the ridge, the flue should terminate 2' above the ridge.

Sponsored Links
Baxi 80E (Gas combi) installed by X & co under Warmfront Grant just under 2 years ago.

If it was installed by them then you should get in touch, I have my doubts about wether you are telling the real story. ;)

'X and co's' installation was rushed, poorly finished- see pics, and it turns out (?) dangerously installed.

Who said that then, calm down Dad, :rolleyes: take a Valium and don`t listen to Salesmen. ;)

I fully take your point about the salesmen, but I think the pics of the vent angle speak for themselves, though I never heard of the 2" above ridge detail.
Despite my calling Baxi techincal I am asking if anyone knows whether they did install the wrong pipe- metal or plastic, I am not in the trade, but can anyone verify, please......?.

As for calming down, Dad, I have an 18 month old and 4 year old in the same room as that boiler. The thought that someone (professional?) has put my kids at such risk leaves me very far from calm, valium or otherwise. :eek:

....though I never heard of the 2" above ridge detail.

It's 2' not 2", that's feet, not inches.

Don't take too much notice of bambergaspipe, he's a windup merchant. You will now probably see what he thinks is a witty reply.

As for calming down, Dad, I have and 18 month old and 4 year old in the same room as that boiler. The thought that someone (professional?) has put my kids at such risk leaves me very far from calm, valium or otherwise.

O.K. THEN. every crying, moaning unemployed, grant deserving, entitled to, grant claiming , whining, something for for nothing no mark, like you have now had this done. Let me get this straight. You are now dragging in your unfortunate circumstances in the hope of further sucking yet more money from the already strained taxpayer. You are a Leech. get a job ;)

O.K. THEN. every crying, moaning unemployed, grant deserving, entitled to, grant claiming , whining, something for for nothing no mark, like you have now had this done. Let me get this straight. You are now dragging in your unfortunate circumstances in the hope of further sucking yet more money from the already strained taxpayer. You are a Leech. get a job ;)

There you go, what did I tell you, a witty reply. Didn't read the OP though:

toadstooltomato said:
....happened while I was at work-

He's a great man.....

....in his own mind. :rolleyes:

Love the calming effect you have on people Bamber :eek:

As for calming down, Dad, I have and 18 month old and 4 year old in the same room as that boiler. The thought that someone (professional?) has put my kids at such risk leaves me very far from calm, valium or otherwise.

Better out than in, eh. I love you Bamber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back