CO alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I may fit a combi in a kitchen and the flue would run through a duct to outside. I know Baxi make a CO detector that senses inside the ducting the flue runs through. My point is that if a CO alarm is fitted in the kitchen on the ceiling, would this be enough and preclude the in-duct Baxi CO detector?

Sponsored Links
That is firm enough. Would you elaborate?

EDIT: The Baxi has an interlock that cuts out the boiler. The alarm does not. I think this is your reason for the unqualified no.

Clip and secure the flue, build in inspection hatches and put battery co alarms room above and below

Sponsored Links
Clip and secure the flue, build in inspection hatches and put battery co alarms room above and below
No inspection hatches will be fitted. The length is 1 to 1.5m of duct. The Baxi interlock is enough. I do know that.
Thanks. My point is that can a ceiling CO alarm replace the Baxi CO duct detector? If a flue is leaking CO the alarm will continually sound off.

If there is a flue joint in the duct it needs an inspection hatch / panel. I presume the baxi co detect system is a branded version of the one bg use which is linked into the boiler with a shut off switch. Good idea for long awkward flue routes but obviously a much more expensive step above a stand alone co alarm

If there is a flue joint in the duct it needs an inspection hatch / panel. I presume the baxi co detect system is a branded version of the one bg use which is linked into the boiler with a shut off switch. Good idea for long awkward flue routes but obviously a much more expensive step above a stand alone co alarm
Yes that is the one. Using one of these Baxi detectors precludes inspection hatches. I wondered if a ceiling main CO alarm with battery backup that covers the kitchen, and of course the boiler in the kitchen, would be suitable. It would not have a cut-out interlock to the boiler, but if the flue is leaking CO the alarm sounding each time the boiler is on is enough to cause the homeower to action to rectify the problem.

The Baxi cutout is around £50 and the ceiling alarm is around £35. Not much difference. The Baxi device does not generally do the kitchen of course.

Last edited:
No inspection hatches will be fitted. The length is 1 to 1.5m of duct. The Baxi interlock is enough. I do know that.
Thanks. My point is that can a ceiling CO alarm replace the Baxi CO duct detector? If a flue is leaking CO the alarm will continually sound off.

Yet another questioner not being prepared to accept the answer, unless it is what he wanted to hear.

CO alarms were allowed within a grace period, now long gone.

According to Gas Safe the Baxi system is NOT approved for a new install. It can only be used as a retrofit.

If you have joins in the duct, then fit an inspection hatch. Simple really.

Yet another questioner not being prepared to accept the answer, unless it is what he wanted to hear.
I have had no answer yet, only attitude from some.
CO alarms were allowed within a grace period, now long gone.
Oh thanks, an answer, so they are not allowed any longer.
According to Gas Safe the Baxi system is NOT approved for a new install. It can only be used as a retrofit.
Thanks! An answer! FYI, Gas Safe are not the people who formulate and enforce regulations.

A new install? Does this mean in a new build house? A new 'install'? Does this mean also in an existing property? These are simple questions.

The Baxi NOCO is a total crock of shyte.
Thanks you for your unhelpful input.

Last edited:
Go ahead and install the NOCO.......be prepared for the receiver to shut boiler down due to signal constantly being lost between sensor and receiver...:ROFLMAO:
....and then be prepared to spend 2 hours on the phone to Baxi tech to be told your still on hold..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back